Collections A-Z

The University of Idaho Library's


Photograph Collection

Documenting the history of the UI Campus

Gault-Upham Halls , 1954-2003 (Demolished 2003 for phase two of Living Learning Community)

Architect:Hugh Richardson, (Lewiston); major contractor Commercial Builders (Moscow).

Cost: $1,303,000

Location: 46.730171, -117.013865 | North side of west Sixth Street between Line and Rayburn, site of the West Sixth
Description: Three stories and basement, reinforced concrete structural frame encased in brick, flat roof. Built to replace Pine Hall. Upham is West dormitory and Gault the East. Common central kitchen, but each dorm has own dining, recreation, study rooms. 83,000 s.f
Click here for more information
Click here for less information
Additions: Gault was extensively damaged by an arson fire October 19, 1956 and renovated in 1957
Use History: Men's dormitory housing up to 344 students
Name History: Named for Franklin B. Gault, University President, 1892-1898 and Alfred Horatio Upham, University President, 1920-1928
Cost Notes: $1,303,000 (Bonds and U.S. Housing and Home finance Agency)
Sources: Cards, UG 12 (2282)

Scroll down to browse the entire collection.

Click or hover on an image for additional information.