Collections A-Z

The University of Idaho Library's


Photograph Collection

Documenting the history of the UI Campus

Steel House , 1953-


History: Steel House is a women's co-operative dormitory. Blake House, currently an office building for music and other faculty members, was historically occupied by Steel House. more ... In 2007, due to high renovation costs, Steel House was closed. In limbo for a year, the Steel House found new homes in the Phi Kappa Tau fraternity house from 2009 to 2012, and the Delta Chi house Fall 2012 to the present.

Commonly referred to as "Steel," the women's co-operative was named after Ethel Steel who was a leader in the movement to provide cooperative residence halls on UI's campus and a member of the board of regents at the University of Idaho from 1933 to 1946. Women living in the residence became known as the "Women of Steel" or "Steelies".

For further information on Steel House see the House's website.

Location: 46.726656,-117.008009 | Steel House, originally at Blake House, moved to the Phi Kappa Tau fraternity house from 2009-12. Then to the former Delta Chi house where it currently resides. They are presently looking for a remodeled, permanant location.
Click here for more information
Click here for less information
Use History: Delta Chi Fraternity House
Sources: Steel House website

Scroll down to browse the entire collection.

Click or hover on an image for additional information.