<
digital initiatives logo library logo

Ott Historical Photograph Collection

Historical Photographs of Northern Idaho Mines, Towns, and Scenery, 1894-1964 i

Mobile site.

X


Collections A-Z


Scroll down to browse the entire collection.
Click or hover on an image for additional information.

click image for more info

Davids'. Moscow. (no image, typescript)
1976-09-06
In 1896 F.A. David rented a one room building with a 15-foot frontage on the west side of Main Street south of First Street and opened a store for the Spokane Eastern Trust Comapny to sell the stocks from a bankrupt Juliaetta store. Later in 1896 David bought the remaining goods with the aid of Frank L. White and named the store ""Badger"" as David was from Wisconsin, the Badger State. In 1898 the store was moved across the street to the Spicer Block where it occuped two rooms with a 25 foot frontage. In 1898 B.T. Byrne's brother-in-law Wellington Ely came to Moscow and bought an interest in the Badger store. The title ""Badger Store"" was abandoned, the firm being called David & Ely. In 1899 David & Ely purchased the Dernham & Kaufmann building at the southeast corner of Third and Main streets and opened its door as a full-fledged department store in 1900. Ely died in 1908 and B.T. Byrnes became an associate of David looking after the interest of Ely. In 1913 Byrnes disposed of the Ely interests to F.A. David, and his sons were made full partners in the store. The firm's name again was changed to F.A. David & Sons. At this time the name on the building was Davids'. In 1919-1920 all four stories of the building were modernized and remodeled. F.A. David died in 1919, and shortly after the store became known as Davids' Inc. The name on the building remained Davids'. In 1946 Davids celebrated their 50th anniversary as merchants in Moscow. When the David sons reached retirement age the store was sold in 1959 to Childers, a Spokane retail merchant. In 1976 Childers sold to Fargo Wilson Wells of Pocatello who was represented by Van Engelen. Fargo Wilson Wells went bankrupt and the store was vacated April 1970. The Davids' building is now owned by two Moscow attorneys, W.E. Anderson and Len Bielenberg. The above is from Homer David's Recollections, Business Saga, from the Spokesman-Review dated May 12, 1946 and the Idahonian dated September 6, 1979.