click image for more info

World War II salvage truck with load of used tires south of Fourth Street on Jackson Street. Idahonian picture.
1943
World War II salvage truck with load of used tires south of Fourth Street on Jackson Street. Idahonian picture.

click image for more info

World War II salvage truck south of Fourth Street with Jackson Street in the background. Idahonian picture.
1943
World War II salvage truck south of Fourth Street with Jackson Street in the background. Idahonian picture.

click image for more info

Washington Water Power Company Sub Station from 1914 to 1936.
1956-12-14
Located east of Jackson Street between Fourth and Sixth streets. All-metal building sold to Moscow Scrap Metals and razed December 14, 1956. Parking lot, 1977.

click image for more info

Northwest Monuments. Moscow, Idaho
1950
Northwest Monuments at 401 south Jackson about 1950. Picture by the Idahonian.

click image for more info

Looking southeast up the Union Pacific Railroad tracks from Third Street. Moscow, Idaho
1913
Spokane & Inland Electric Railroad poles and trolley line may be seen at the left. 1913-14.

click image for more info

Looking west on Fourth Street toward Jackson Street. Moscow, Idaho
1968
Neely's Garage (Hudson dealer) at the left. 1928. Now city parking lot. 1968.

click image for more info

Moscow Fire Department Building and Trucks. Moscow, Idaho
1927
Built 1927. Company 6 is on board the 1916 chemical truck at left. Company 7 is on board the 1922 pumper truck at right.

click image for more info

Moscow Fire Department. Moscow, Idaho - Group of firemen and wives in front of station
1927
Group of firemen and wives in front of the Moscow Fire Department's Station. Carl Smith, many years Fire Chief, fourth from the left kneeling. [Building] built in 1927.

click image for more info

Moscow Fire Department. Moscow, Idaho - firemen on hook and ladder truck
1937
Left to right on hook and ladder truck: Wilson Rogers, Russ Tate, Ardie Driscoll, Jim Phelps, Loyd Randall. On running board: ?, Cyril Fitsimmons, Walt Schumacher. On street: Dave Millilerd, Chief Carl Smith, salesman, Harry Frazier. Volunteer Fire Department showing new fully-equipped Seagrave Junior aerial ladder truck. About 1937.

click image for more info

Inside J.C. Penney Store (The Golden Rule) in the White Building. Moscow.
1912
At the northeast corner of First and Main streets in 1912. Jessie Halverson Nutterville in white, Bess (Beardsley) Whitman in dark dress. Identity of men not known.

click image for more info

Moscow Fire Department equipment in front of the fire station showing the new addition built in 1954.
1954
Moscow Fire Department equipment in front of the fire station showing the new addition built in 1954.

click image for more info

Moscow Fire Department equipment in front of the fire station showing the new addition built in 1954.
1954
Moscow Fire Department equipment in front of the fire station showing the new addition built in 1954.

click image for more info

Moscow Fire Department. Moscow, Idaho
1947
Pioneer man-powered hose cart owned by the Moscow Fire Department. Built about 1846 or 1847.

click image for more info

Looking east across Main Street from vacant lot. 1889. Moscow, Idaho
1897
Man standing in back of wagon, Thore B. Thoreson father of H.B. (Curley) Thoreson, Chief of Police for many years; retired 1968. Building at corner of Main and Sixth streets. Top of courthouse above Thoreson's head.

click image for more info

Looking east across Main Street. Moscow, Idaho
1897
[Photograph of newspaper clipping.]

click image for more info

Moscow's first public school, Russell. Moscow, Idaho
1902
Moscow's first public school, Russell built 1884, located center of block between First and A streets and Jefferson and Adams streets. Note the building at the right-hand corner of picture was [the home of] one of Moscow's pioneer doctors, Dr. W.A. Adair. His home is still there 1968.

click image for more info

Russell School. Moscow, Idaho
1902
Russell School showing annex built on west end of first school about 1887. This burned in 1911. This is location of the playground for the new Russell School at the corner of A and Adams streets.

click image for more info

Irving School. Moscow, Idaho
1902
Looking east at the Irving School, built in 1901, for grade [school] students. Located on the southwest corner of A and Adams streets. Razed in 1926 for present site of Russell School. This location is northeast in the same block as the old Russell School.

click image for more info

Old Standpipe. Moscow, Idaho
1907
Old Standpipe (water tank) was built in 1889 and razed in 1931 or 1932. Located in the center of the block north of A Street in line with East B Street between Jefferson and Adams streets. TFrst piped well water came in 1889 with a $30,000.00 bond issue. House at left is located at 226 North Jefferson [Street]. Picture by M.L. Romig about 1907.

click image for more info

Moscow High School. Moscow, Idaho
1905-03-01
First brick school built in 1892 on the south side of Third Street between Jefferson and Van Buren streets, across from the Methodist Church. High school was conducted on the top floor and grade school on the bottom floor. Later it was called the Whitworth School. It was razed in 1934 and at present is the site of the new high school annex. 1968.

click image for more info

Bank of Idaho. Moscow.
1975
Located at the southwest corner of First and Main streets. Picture taken 1975.

click image for more info

Anderson Post No. 14, G.A.R. [Grand Army of the Republic] Moscow, Idaho
1905-03-01
Veterans of the Civil War in front of Moscow High School.

click image for more info

Country School.
1905-03-01
One of several built around Moscow in the 1890's. School has been identified by Mrs. Halpin, who lived nearby, as the Russell or (Emerson) School located west of the junction of Sunshine Road and the Moscow-Pullman highway.

click image for more info

Latah County Courthouse. Moscow, Idaho
1905-03-01
Built in 1888-89. Located in center of block between Fifth and Sixth streets, Van Buren and Adams streets. Razed in 1959 for site of present courthouse.

click image for more info

University of Idaho Administration Building. Moscow, Idaho
1905
[University of Idaho Administration Building] after the fire of March 30, 1906.

click image for more info

Looking southeast from Moscow-Pullman Highway. Moscow, Idaho
1905
Looking southeast from Moscow-Pullman highway at the University of Idaho. School of Mines, Administration Building, and gymnasium. Paradise Ridge shows in the background.

click image for more info

University of Idaho Administration Building. Moscow, Idaho
1892-10-03
University of Idaho Administration Building opened October 3, 1892.

click image for more info

Looking southeast from Moscow-Pullman Highway. Moscow, Idaho
1905
Looking southeast from Moscow-Pullman highway at the University of Idaho. School of Mines, Administration Building, and gymnasium. Paradise Ridge shows in the background.

click image for more info

University of Idaho Administration Building. Moscow, Idaho
1906-03-30
University of Idaho Administration Building after the fire of March 30, 1906 showing the walls still standing.

click image for more info

University of Idaho Administration Building. Moscow, Idaho
1906-03-30
University of Idaho Administration Building after the fire of March 30, 1906 showing the walls still standing.

click image for more info

University of Idaho Administration Building. Moscow, Idaho
1906-03-30
University of Idaho Administration Building burning at night of March 30, 1906. The building at left is the old School of Mines.

click image for more info

Looking west at the southwest corner of First and Main streets. Moscow.
1898
4. Front of building shown in picture above [90-0030]. 5. Brick building at the southwest corner of First and Main streets. Believe the above pictures [90-0030 and 90-0031] taken in the late 1890s. 2. Moscow Commercial Club built in 1892.

click image for more info

Clean up crew [University of Idaho Administration Building]. Moscow, Idaho
1906-06-01
Clean-up crew who cleaned the brick after the walls were demolished. Roy Stillinger and Harry Sampson are among the youngsters in the foreground.

click image for more info

Site of University of Idaho Administration Building after remains were removed. Moscow, Idaho
1906-09-01
After the wreckage was nearly cleaned up. First gymnasium at left and Morrill Hall, still incomplete far right in picture.

click image for more info

School of Mines. University of Idaho. Moscow, Idaho Now: Niccolls Building
1968
Completed 1902. Later College of Engineering. Razed in 1951. Now site of the new Home Economics Building. [Niccols] 1968. Niccolls Building

click image for more info

Gymnasium. University of Idaho. Moscow, Now: Idaho Art & Architecture
1968
Completed 1904. Women's gymnasium 1968. Now Art & Architecture

click image for more info

University of Idaho Administration Building. Moscow, Idaho
1906-06-01
Demolition charge set off to demolish the walls left standing.

click image for more info

Ridenbaugh Hall. University of Idaho. Moscow, Idaho
1968
Completed in 1902. It was a women's dormitory for many years. As of 1968 the Music Department's practice rooms.

click image for more info

Morrill Hall. University of Idaho. Moscow, Idaho
1968
Built in 1906, after the Administration Building burned. Now the Forestry Building. 1968.

click image for more info

Looking north on Main Street from corner of Seventh Street. Moscow, Idaho
1898-05-04
University of Idaho cadets marching off to the Spanish-American War. Picture taken May, 4, 1898.

click image for more info

Morrill Hall. University of Idaho. Moscow, Idaho
1940
Morrill Hall. University of Idaho. Moscow, Idaho

click image for more info

Oregon Railroad & Navigation depot. Moscow, Idaho
1968
Arrived September 23, 1885. Oregon Railroad & Navigation Company. Now Union Pacific [depot] 1968. Two blocks west of Main on Eighth Street. Razed September 1983.

click image for more info

Moscow, Idaho. Drawing of first brick buildings. 1982
1982
Drawing shows the first brick buildings erected in Moscow, their original names, locations and dates started or finished. Other dates were from records or pioneer newspapers. Names and dates of the first brick buildings built in Moscow were researched by Lillian (Woodworth) Otness in 1982 and [are] believed to be reasonably correct. Lillian is the granddaughter of Almon Asbury Lieuallen and daughter of Lillie (Lieuallen) Woodworth. William Neff homesteaded the northwest 160 acres of Moscow in 1871 from Main Street west and Sixth Street north. In 1875 A.A. Lieuallen purchased the Neff property and put up a small store building at the southwest corner of First and Main streets. This was the location of the first post office in Moscow when it was moved from [the] Paradise Valley [location]. Lieuallen built the large house still standing on Almon Street at the west end of First Street in 1884. Streets west of Jackson were named after the Lieuallen family, Almon, Asbury, Lilly, [Lilly is correct spelling of street name.] and Lieuallen.

click image for more info

Looking at the west side of Main Street north of Third Street. Moscow.
1912-07-04
July 4, 1912, parade going south. Hose cart company in the foreground. Moscow Fire Department.

click image for more info

Northern Pacific Railroad Company depot. Moscow, Idaho
1968
Arrived 1890. Two blocks west of Main on Eighth Street. Now site of Northern Pacific depot 1968. Burned.

click image for more info

Northern Pacific and Oregon Railroad & Navigation depots, 1890s. Moscow, Idaho
1890
Northern Pacific and Oregon Railroad & Navigation depots, 1890s. Moscow, Idaho

click image for more info

Steam engine. Lewiston, Idaho
1895
Number 72 steam engine and train crew in the Lewiston Railroad Yards, looking north west. Late 90s or early 1900s.

click image for more info

Railroad construction crew laying track.
1895
Late 90s or early 1900s. Location unknown.

click image for more info

Steam shovel.
1895
Steam shovel widening the roadbed along the Snake River. Late 90s or early 1900s.

click image for more info

Buggy.
1901
Early mode of transportation. Driving team and two-seated top buggy.