click image for more info

Northeast corner of Third and Jackson streets. Moscow. (no image, no number; only typewritten note.)
1897
Site of Erichson's Studio. In 1897 Henry Erichson, a well-known photographer, located here in his own building, moving from his quarters in the J.W. Lieuallen Building at 207 South Main Street. Erichson came to Moscow in 1884 and established himself as its leading photographer. In the days before snapshots became common, the local photographer was in such demand that in 1886 Erichson closed his studio for two months to make a circuit through Genesee, Uniontown, Colton, and Pullman to photograph the people of those communities. He remained in business at this location until about 1906, when he moved to Driscoll Ridge, near Troy.

click image for more info

West side of Main Street south of First Street.
1885
Fruit store at left site of the Lieuallen Building. (Bjorklund Hardware) Picture 1885. Colonel Robert Barton on horse at left. Women riding side saddle.

click image for more info

Copied from a drawing of Moscow Pioneer breweries by Augustus Koch in 1897.
1897
No. 25- Idaho Brewery, 26- livery barn, 27- Moscow Brewery, 28- Idaho Hotel, 29- Blacksmith shop, 30- City water works. Idaho Brewery located at the southeast corner of C and Main streets. Built in 1892 by Niederstadt, Schober and Koehler and went into bankruptcy in 1894. In 1896 the brewing equipment was sold to parties at Trail Creek. In 1904 the building was used as a fruit vacuum, dryer and storage plant. Later was the Fred Veatch vinegar plant until the 1920s. Val Ruckman processed and sold feed until about the 1940s. W.H. Craig & Son operated the Idaho Transfer Company at this location for their moving and storage business until it burned in November 1956. Old flat storage section still stands west of the alley. Everett Wills Tractor Company now owns the property. Moscow Brewery operated at the northeast corner of A and Main streets. Built in 1882 by Otto Fries and Joe Niederstadt. In 1886 Joe Niederstadt was the sole owner, and in 1890 Mr. Schober became a partner. From 1892 to 1895 the brewery was not in operation and was sold to F.L. Koehler in 1895. In 1902 Herman Nichola was operating the brewery. Fred Francl purchased the brewery in 1903 and it burned July 29, 1908. In 1909 a concrete block wall was built around the old brewery lots.

click image for more info

Looking south at Main Street from First Street during a liberty bond parade in October 1918. Moscow.
1918-10-01
Looking south at Main Street from First Street during a liberty bond parade in October 1918. Moscow.

click image for more info

Moscow Fire. Moscow.
1890-06-06
June 6, 1890 a fire causing the loss of probably $10,000.00 visited the city. The fire started in the rear of the Hamlin building at 9.00 P.M. and destroyed the Hamlin's Hall, E. Mather's barber shop, F. Yangle's taylor [sic] shop, C.H. Jones butcher shop, the Morris building occupied by the telephone office and the commission store occupied by H. Fallon, the photography studio of H. Erickson [sic] and the J.W. Lieuallen grocery stock and building. These were all wooden frame buildings and a more disastrous spread of flames was averted only by the greatest effort. The water works had just been completed and to this fact alone the salvation of the business part of town was due. See picture number 57 [90-2-0057] on opposite page showing some of the buildings destroyed.

click image for more info

Moscow Commercial Club. Moscow.
1902
At the southwest corner of First and Jackson streets. Built in 1892 and used as a meeting place for several years. Occupied next by the Moscow Business College, Inland Hospital (Dr. W.H. Carithers), Magee Hospital (Dr. Magee), Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity, and the Latah Manor Apartments as of 1980.

click image for more info

Latah Manor Apartments. Moscow.
1977-11-16
At the southwest corner of First and Jackson streets. November 16, 1977 by Clifford M. Ott.

click image for more info

Browne Block built in 1890. Moscow.
1908
Located at the northeast corner of Second and Main streets. At time of picture the Moscow Natonal Bank occupied the corner section. Later Moscow State Bank, now Latah County Title Company.

click image for more info

First Trust Company Bank. Moscow.
1908
Located at the southeast corner of Second and Main streets. Hawkin Melgard started here in 1905 and about 1921 built the First Trust and Savings Bank which was razed in 1963.

click image for more info

Looking north at the west side of Main Street from Third Street. Moscow.
1918-11-11
Armistice Day, November 11, 1918.

click image for more info

Looking north at the east side of Main Street from Third Street. Moscow.
1930
Late 1920s or early 1930s.

click image for more info

Looking south at the west side of Main from Second Street.
1935
1- First Trust and Savings Bank, 1921, 2- Hagan and Cushing, 1892. 3- Commercial Block, 1890, 4- Smith Dolson, 1891, 5- Lieuallen Building 1890, 6- Andrew Henry Hardware 1889. Picture taken 1930s.

click image for more info

Looking northwest at the west side of Main Street from Second Street. Moscow.
1935
Most of these buildings were built in the early 1900s. The Pastime in center of picture was operated by Art Ransom and was open day and night for many years, (1930s)

click image for more info

Looking west at the east end of the vinegar plant from Talbotts' yard.
1900
Picture from Jeanette Talbott. Southeast corner of A and Main streets.

click image for more info

Commercial Block built 1890. Moscow.
1902
Commercial Bank 215 South Main Street. Jewelry store 213 South Main Street. Montgomery Ward, 1976. Queen City Printing, 1976.

click image for more info

Smith-Dolson building. Moscow.
1895
Built 1891. Creighton's Store since early 1890s, oldest in Moscow. 211 South Main Street.

click image for more info

First Trust & Savings Bank, built in 1921 by Hawkin Melgard and razed in 1963. Moscow.
1895
Creighton's Store since early 1890s, oldest in Moscow. 211 South Main Street.

click image for more info

One of the first grocery stores in Moscow. Moscow.
1894-06-01
Located at the northwest corner of Third and Main streets, owned and operated by John and Clint Lieuallen, picture taken 1894-95.

click image for more info

Looking at the west side of Main Street from Third Street beginning with the grocery store in above picture and preceding north. Moscow.
1898
Picture probably taken in the late 1890s. Note (Creightons).

click image for more info

Panoramic of N.W. corner of 3rd & Main Street. Moscow.
1895
Left looking west at Third Street and right looking north at Main Street. Late 1890s.

click image for more info

First Security Bank built in 1963 replacing the First Trust & Savings Bank. Moscow.
1974-12-22
Located at the northwest of Third and Main streets. Picture 1974. December 22, 1974 by Clifford M. Ott.

click image for more info

[Northwest corner of Third and Main streets.] Moscow.
1986-08-26
August 26, 1986 by Clifford M. Ott.

click image for more info

[Northwest corner of Third and Main streets.] Moscow.
1986-08-26
August 26, 1986 by Clifford M. Ott.

click image for more info

Looking northwest across Washington Street at Moscow City Hall, located at the northwest corner of Fourth and Washington streets. Moscow.
1983-09-30
Picture by Clifford M. Ott September 30, 1983.

click image for more info

Commercial Hotel.
1891
(Idaho Hotel) built about 1890 replacing the wooden building in top picture [90-0008]. Southeast corner of A and Main streets.

click image for more info

Looking west from Fourth Street across Main Street showing telephone building (#1) and Hotel Moscow (#2). Moscow.
1983-09-30
By Clifford M. Ott September 30, 1983.

click image for more info

First Trust & Savings Bank at the northwest corner of Third and Main streets being razed in 1963. Moscow.
1963
Picture from the Idahonian.

click image for more info

[Northwest corner of Third and Main streets.] Moscow.
1986-08-08
original August 8, 1921 Hodgins.

click image for more info

Santa Claus comes to Moscow. Moscow.
1946
Christmas tree located at the intersection of Fourth and Main streets. Looking west across Main Street at the Tri-State Store on the west side of Jackson Street about 1946.

click image for more info

Santa Claus comes to Moscow, landing in the block north of F Street and west of Main Street. Moscow.
1960
This was after the Idaho Harvester Company's concrete buildings were razed and before Rosauer's, Drug Fair and Yellow Front were built.

click image for more info

[Rosauers]. Moscow.
1986-08-26
August 26, 1986 by Clifford M. Ott.

click image for more info

Looking northwest at the west side of Main Street from Third Street. Moscow.
1974-12-24
Shows changes made to the fronts of the pioneer buildings. Picture taken December 24, 1974 by Clifford M. Ott

click image for more info

[North block on West Third Street]. Moscow. (photo of newspaper photo and caption?)
1963-04-01
Make Way for Bank Change -- The north side of the 100 block on West Third street, shown in the photo above, will undergo a face lifting in the next six months to provide modern facilities for First Security Bank of Moscow, located at the corner of Third and Main. Manager F.K. Dammarell said today that the present Western Store building, acquired by the bank early in January from Milburn Kenworthy, will be utilized as temporary quarters for the bank while extensive remodeling is being done in the present bank building. At the same time the Husky Service Station will be razed and construction started on a drive-in bank unit to be located at the corner of Third and Jackson. Upon completion of the main building's remodeling, the Western Store building will be razed and that area utilized for customer parking and access for the drive-in unit. Work on the latter unit is expected to begin as soon as possible, Dammarell said. The remodeling of the main bank will begin about Aug. 1. [Clipping is dated April 1, 1963]

click image for more info

Looking north at the east side of Main Street north of 3rd St. Moscow.
1944-09-09
The Corner Drug Store had just finished a remodeling of the store front. Picture September 9, 1944 by Dimond of Hodgins Drug Store.

click image for more info

Close up of Jerry Gelwick in his popcorn wagon. Moscow.
1899
Later he moved to 112 East Third Street where he and Mrs. (Ike) Gelwick operated a lunch counter and served the largest and best chocolate malt in Moscow. They were in this location many years until retiring.

click image for more info

City Hotel or Carter House.
1885
Built late 1870s, addition after 1883. Owned and operated several years by Mr. and Mrs. William Carter at right in picture. Frie's Brewery at left, southeast corner of A and Main streets.

click image for more info

Dernham & Kaufmann store at the southeast corner of Third and Main streets built in 1889. Moscow.
1899
The crosswalk goes to the post office. See picture below. [90-2-084]

click image for more info

David & Ely purchased the Dernham & Kaufmann building in 1899 and changed the name to David & Ely. Moscow.
1910
See the Cornwall Building behind as a three-story building. Picture 1910.

click image for more info

David & Ely building showing a popcorn wagon at the corner and the Cornwall Building. Moscow.
1899
Grice's sign shows at right.

click image for more info

[Davids]. Moscow.
1914-12-25
Ely died in 1908 and his brother in law B.T. Byrnes became an associate of F.A. David looking after the interests of Ely. Byrnes sold the Ely interests to F.A. David in 1913 and the four David sons were made full partners. At this time the name on the building was changed to Davids'. Picture Christmas 1914.

click image for more info

Dernham & Kaufmann store at left with the post office in the south room. Moscow.
1899
The building at right McCartor Block. Built in 1891, occupied by Grice (furniture and undertaking).

click image for more info

Remodeling the Davids' building in 1920 inside and outside. Moscow.
1920
Remodeling the Davids' building in 1920 inside and outside. Moscow.

click image for more info

Davids' 50th anniversary (1896-1946) photograph of store. Moscow.
1946
Moscow had diagonal parking at this time. Picture by Hodgins.

click image for more info

[Davids']. Moscow.
1979-08-26
Davids' sold to Childers, a Spokane retail merchant in 1959 and in 1976 he sold to Fargo Wilson Wells of Pocatello who went bankrupt and vacated the building in April 1979. Picture taken August 26, 1979 by Clifford M. Ott.

click image for more info

Davids' in the 1950s. Moscow.
1954
Moscow had parallel parking at this time. Picture by Ted Cowin, a Moscow photographer.

click image for more info

[Davids']. Moscow.
1989-05-21
The Davids' building was next owned by Len Bielenberg and W.E. Anderson, Moscow attorneys who sold to Mostafa El Burai in 1987. He restored the building to its original brick exterior in 1988 and named [it] El Burai Center. The building is now for sale. Picture taken by Clifford M. Ott May 21, 1989.

click image for more info

George M. Tomer. Latah County, Idaho
1937
Under the tree stands Mr. George M. Tomer, the only surviving son of Mr. George W. Tomer, one of Moscow's earliest pioneers. Mr. Tomer was born in Nevada City, California, where his father, a California forty-niner, had mined placer gold for twenty-one years. Hearing through his maternal grandmother, Mr. and Mrs. Mathew Montgomery, who came to Moscow in 1870, of the rich and beautiful country in Nez Perce County, Idaho Territory, his parents decided to establish a squatter's claim here. Mr. Tomer's parents and his little family of four children left San Francisco in the early spring of 1871, and came by a leaky ocean boat to Portland. This craft, so Mr. Tomer relates, sank about a year later. [C.J. Brosnan may have written this text.] From Portland, they came by boat up the Columbia River to Lewiston. During their brief stay the family stopped at the famous old hostelry known as the DeFrance Hotel. While in Lewiston, Mr. Tomer's father, a tree lover, purchased the little sapling which has grown into the huge tree near with Mr. Tomer stands. Mr. Tomer states that he did not come to Moscow in a covered wagon, but in a plain lumber wagon. His grandfather and grandmother, Mr. and Mrs. Mathew Montgomery, according to Mr. Tomer, died shortly after his family reached Moscow. Her grave stone, inscribed with an appropriate inscription, reads that her death occurred in 1873. Mrs. Montgomery was the first white person buried in the old Moscow cemetery. This grave-stone stands within a half-mile of the old Nez Perces Trail. The Tomers were not able, at first, to file a hundred and sixty acres land claim under the provisions of the Homestead Act of 1862, because their arrival antedated the land surveys in this region. The land office was not opened in Lewiston until the year of 1875. The Tomer squatter's claim is situated near the feet of Tomer's Butte, an exceedingly ancient granite butte. This butte was one a tall mountain before the floor of the valley, now occupied by the city of Moscow, was filled by lava flows and deposits of wind-blown soil from what is now the State of Washington. [C.J. Brosnan may have written this text.]

click image for more info

Pioneers in front of poplar tree planted May 6, 1871. Latah County, Idaho
1937
Pioneers in front of the poplar tree planted May 6, 1871, by Mr. and Mrs. George W. Tomer. These pioneers were among the many people and students in the tour Tracing The Old Nez Perces Trail, sponsored by Dr. C.J. Brosnan, head of the department of American History, University of Idaho. This was during summer school in 1937. No. 1- Maude (Barton) Hunter, 2- Ruth (Naylor) Perkins, 3- Margaret Mills, 4- George Northrup, 5- Mrs. Emma Clyde, 6- Mrs. Daniel Gamble, 7- Nellie Summerfield, 8- Gainford P. (Gub) Mix, 9- Walter McClintic, 10-Belle (Estes) Carssow, 11- Charles J. Munson, 12- L.G. Peterson, 13- George M. Tomer (son of George W. Tomer) was the official guide for the tour.

click image for more info

Silver poplar tree planted by George M. Tomer May 6, 1871. Latah County, Idaho
1937
This is the venerable silver poplar tree planted on May 6, 1871, by Mr. George W. Tomer, who established a squatter's claim earlier in that year near the foot of Tomer's Butte, to which he gave his name. This oldest planted tree in Moscow has withstood the elements for nearly three-quarters of a century and is today the Nestor of Moscow's trees. This species, Populus albus, appears to be one of the earliest of foreign ornamental trees to be distributed in this region. It is a native of Eurasia. The bark is much corrugated, and this dark bark of the bole contrasts with the whitish bark of the branches. This contrast lends picturesqueness to the tree. This is now a monument, and should be protected. [C.J. Brosnan may have written this text.] No. 5- On map. See No. 6- for location. This is a photograph showing the complete tree. Note large trunk, corrugated bark, and spreading branches, and two younger trees that arose from suckers from the parent tree. The roots of this fine tree extend 200 feet from the trunk. This will give the spectator some idea of why it has withstood the storms and droughts of some three-quarters of a century. If present conditions relating to water supply are maintained, this tree can still be regarded as youthful. This means that this sturdy tree has not as yet passed more than a third of its expectant life. [C.J. Brosnan may have written this text.]

click image for more info

Mr. and Mrs. George W. Tomer. Latah County, Idaho
1937
Mr. and Mrs. George W. Tomer planted the above tree, May 6, 1871. [90-0126]