click image for more info

Looking northeast across Moscow with the Moscow Mountains in background. Moscow.
1935 1936
Picture from the top of the grain elevator at the southwest corner of Eighth and Main streets. Picture by Charles Dimond of Hodgins, 1935-36.

click image for more info

Looking northeast across Moscow with the Moscow Mountains in background. Moscow.
1975
Picture from the top of the grain elevator at the southwest corner of Eighth and Main streets. Picture by Clifford M. Ott 1975.

click image for more info

Farmers Union Warehouse Company. Moscow.
1932
Warehouse south of Eighth Street and west of Main Street. This warehouse was used for storing sacked grain. Picture early 1930' by Charles Dimond of Hodgins.

click image for more info

Unloading freight at the Greater Boston Store, August 5, 1905. Moscow.
1905-08-05
Williamson's, Idaho's Greatest.

click image for more info

[Depot]. Moscow.
1983-09-30
No. 1 is the O.R. & N. [Oregon Railroad and Navigation] (Union Pacific) depot being razed. Picture by Clifford M. Ott September 30, 1983.

click image for more info

Oregon Railroad and Navigation Company and Union Pacific Railroad depot. Moscow.
1983-09-30
[Building] built in 1885 being razed. This [Oregon Railroad and Navigation] was the first railroad to arrive in Moscow. Clifford M. Ott September 30, 1983.

click image for more info

[Warehouse]. Moscow.
1932
The Farmers Union Warehouse Company warehouse was purchased by the Northwest Seed Company and an elevator and pea processing equipment added. About the 1930s.

click image for more info

[Warehouse]. Moscow.
1986-06-01
The warehouse was later purchased by the Latah County Grain Growers about the 1940s. Picture taken in June 1986 while building was being razed. Moscow Idaho Seed Company beyond.

click image for more info

Looking northeast at Moscow from the Latah County Grain Growers elevator. Moscow.
1950
Concrete elevator. Sixth and Main streets at right. Picture by the Idahonian in 1950.

click image for more info

Looking more to the east from the same position as the top picture [90-3-083]. Moscow.
1950
Picture by the Idahonian in 1950.

click image for more info

Jess M. Scott, plumbing and heating. Moscow.
1950
Located at 618 South Jackson Street after Scott died. Picture taken in 1950.

click image for more info

Looking north from the Moscow Idaho Seed Company building about 1950. Moscow.
1950
No. 1- Potlatch Lumber Company, Sam Espeland manager. 2- Scott Plumbing and Heating. 3- Standard Lumber Company. 4- Jim Nesbit, 76 Service Station. 5- Latah County Grain Growers elevator. Crites-Moscow Growers, foreground.

click image for more info

Northwest corner of Eighth and Main streets. Moscow.
1977-09-04
Formerly Smith Brothers Shell service station for many years. Now First Bank of Troy. Picture by Clifford M. Ott, September 4, 1977.

click image for more info

Northwest corner of Eighth and Jackson streets. Moscow.
1977-09-04
Formerly Union service station. Now flat storage warehouse of Crites-Moscow Growers. Beyond the Crites-Moscow Growers may be seen the original O.R. & N. [Oregon Railroad and Navigation] depot built in 1885. Now U.P. [Union Pacific] Railroad depot. Picture by Clifford M. Ott September 4, 1977.

click image for more info

[Grain elevators]. Moscow.

[Photo of newspaper photo?] Caption: ""Newly Acquired grain storage elevators and feed mill of the Latah County Grain Growers in Moscow, Idaho play an important part in this association's plan for expansion. This facility, acquired in July, was formerly owned by the Mark P. Miller milling company and had a capacity of nearly 500,000 bushels. (Photo courtesy of East Idahonian."" The flour mill at right in picture was razed in 1960.

click image for more info

Palouse Producers. Moscow.
1977-11-06
Fertilizers and chemicals at the southwest corner of Sixth and Jackson streets. Latah County Grain Growers elevator at left. This corner first occupied by the Michael J. Shields lumber mill in the 1880s and 1890s. Then Mark P. Miller flour mill, 1904 to 1960 when razed. Picture by Clifford M. Ott November 6, 1977.

click image for more info

East side of Main Street [wording on image]. Moscow.
1908
Sometime after the top picture [90-3-028] showing the Williamson sign above the awnings.

click image for more info

Looking at the southwest corner of Sixth and Jackson streets. Moscow.
1980-07-31
Now owned by the Latah County Grain Growers. Picture by Clifford M. Ott, July 31, 1980.

click image for more info

Harry Bush. Moscow.
1930
Manager of the Mark P. Miller Milling Company, purchased by the Latah County Grain Growers in 1930 and was their first manager. The office was the small building back of Bush, the flour mill at right, with the concrete storage elevator in the background.

click image for more info

Breaking ground for the new office shown in the picture below [90-3-092]. Moscow.
1980-07-31
Mark P. Miller, owner.

click image for more info

Harry Steensma. Moscow.
1979
Miller for the Mark P. Miller Milling Company. The flour mill was purchased by the Latah County Grain Growers and Steensma worked for them until retiring in 1979.

click image for more info

Michael J. Shields lumber mill. Moscow.
1892
At the southwest corner of Sixth and Jackson streets. The refuge from this mill was burned in the Shields light plant in the next block south. Picture 1892.

click image for more info

Mark P. Miller flour mill. Moscow.
1958
[Caption from photo in newspaper?]: ""Won't be long - The old Mark P. Miller flour mill, now owned by the Latah County Grain growers, is in line for dismantling, according to Fred Cann, Grain Growers manager. A crew from Marvin Carter salvage Co., of Veradale, Wash., will start tearing down the mill today and are expected to complete the job in three months."" The Mark P. Miller Flour Mill at the S.W. corner of 6th & Jackson St. This mill started operating about 1904 and the building was razed in 1960. Now site of a fertilizer plant. Part of the flour mill building was moved from 4th & Washington Street and purchased by Mark P. Miller in 1904 and rebuilt.

click image for more info

Michael J. Shields electric light plant. Moscow.
1892
Built in 1892 on the east side of Jackson Street between Seventh and Eighth streets. Picture 1892. McGregor House and cupola of the Courthouse may be seen at right end of the light plant. The first Shields electric light plant was built in this location in 1889 and replaced by the larger plant in 1892.

click image for more info

Michael J. Shields. Moscow.
1898
Michael J. Shields left, built his home at 411 East B Street in the early 1890s and [it] is still occupied in 1976. It is one of the landmarks of northeast Moscow. He also built the Shields Building at the southeast corner of Fourth and Main streets in 1889 as a hardware store, and in 1890 the building south to Fifth Street for an implement store. In addition to the electric light plant above [90-3-098] he built and operated a lumber mill. Shields was one of Moscow's most enterprising businessmen of the 1890s.

click image for more info

History of Electric Service in Moscow. Moscow. [photo of textual document?]

Power from the Lewiston-Clarkston Improvement Company [LCIC] was turned on the Moscow line May 22, 1905. The original contract for the line was December 1903, subject to some kind of option as of May 1904. Late in 1904 the right-of-way was acquired and construction began. See contract folder 76, box 131 LCIC papers at W.S.U. [Washington State University] Library.

click image for more info

Electric service in Moscow. Moscow. [photo of textual document?]

Electric service in Moscow. Moscow. [photo of textual document?]

click image for more info

First sawmills. Moscow. [photo of map section?]
1891
First sawmills. Moscow. [photo of map section?]

click image for more info

Moscow, Idaho around 1891. Moscow.
1891
The future ""opal mining center of the United States""? (Photograph courtesy of the University of Idaho.)

click image for more info

Looking east at the south part of Moscow. Moscow.
1899
From Idaho Avenue and Elm Street in the late 1890s. 1- High school, 2- Presbyterian Church, 3- Courthouse, 4- Methodist Church, 5- Henry McGregor residence, 6- McGregor House (later Gritman Hospital), 7- Shields electric light plant, 8- O.R. & N. [Oregon Railroad and Navigation] depot, 9- Northern Pacific [Railroad] depot.

click image for more info

Looking northeast at Moscow. Moscow.
1900
From the University of Idaho campus in 1900. Picture from Jeanette Talbott.

click image for more info

Looking north. Moscow.
1900
With the John King residence in foreground.

click image for more info

[Catherine Shannon plot]. Moscow. [Photo of map section]
1914
The pictures on the following pages are the area on the maps as the Catherine Shannon place beginning with the first picture taken in 1885. The maps were copied from the Latah County Atlas of 1914.

click image for more info

[Catherine Shannon plot]. Moscow. [Photo of map section]
1914
The pictures on the following pages are the area on the maps as the Catherine Shannon place beginning with the first picture taken in 1885. The maps were copied from the Latah County Atlas of 1914.

click image for more info

Looking northeast Moscow from Taylor Avenue in the 1890s. Moscow.
1895
1- G.A.R. Hall 2- Brick high school, 3- Presbyterian Church, 4- Courthouse, 5- McGregor residence, 6- Christian Church, 7- Methodist Church, 8- McGregor House later Gritman Hospital, 9- South Main Street, 10- O.R. & N. [Oregon Railroad and Navigation] roundhouse, 11- Location of the Shannon property; the buildings not in picture.

click image for more info

Looking northeast at Moscow from Taylor Avenue in 1905. Moscow.
1905
1- O.R. & N. [Oregon Railroad and Navigation] depot, 2- Hotel Moscow, 3- Stand pipe (water tank), 4- Irving School, top, Russell School below, 5- High school, 6- Courthouse, 7- Northern Pacific [Railroad] water tank, 8- Paradise Creek, 9- Northern Pacific [Railroad] turn table, 10- South Main Street, 11- Sweet Avenue, 12- Shannon buildings, later University of Idaho Forestry Nursery.

click image for more info

Looking northeast at Moscow in 1885. Moscow.
1885
1- A.A. Lieuallen residence, 2- Flour mill, 3- Baptist Church, 4- Russell School, 5- McConnell Mansion, 6- Presbyterian Church, 7- O..R. & N. [Oregon Railroad and Navigation] depot, 8- Methodist Church, 9- South Main Street, 10- Paradise Creek, 10- Shannon house and buildings.

click image for more info

Looking northeast at Moscow in 1887. Moscow.
1887
1- A.A. Lieuallen residence, 2- Baptist Church, 3- Russell School, 4- McConnell Mansion, 5- Presbyterian Church, 6- O.R. & N. [Oregon Railroad and Navigation] depot, 7- Methodist Church, 8- South Main Street, 9- Paradise Creek, 10- Shannon.

click image for more info

Looking east at south Moscow from Morrill Hall in 1907. [Photograph] by Sterner. Moscow.
1907
1- Tomers Butte, 2- Cemetery, 3- Skattaboe farm to left and right of Northern Pacific Railroad, 4- Henley house at east end of Henley Avenue, 5- O.R. & N. [Oregon Railroad and Navigation] roundhouse left and water tank right, 6- South Main Street, 7- Sweet Avenue, 8- Shannon buildings. Picture from a 11 x 14 glass negative.

click image for more info

Looking east at the south part of Moscow. Moscow.
1916
From a panoramic by Allen Photo Co., Moscow Idaho from University Hill. Shannon buildings right center of picture and right of Sweet Avenue.

click image for more info

Looking east at the south part of Moscow. Moscow.
1938
From aeroplane about 1938. At this time the Marie Shannon place had been purchased by the University of Idaho (recorded March 30, 1929) for their Forestry Nursery shown in the picture.

click image for more info

Looking southwest at south Moscow from the courthouse about 1907. Moscow.
1907
Part of a panoramic of Moscow. Photographer not known. 1- O.R. & N. [Oregon Railroad and Navigation] roundhouse, 2- South Main Street showing the hill going south, 3- Shannon buildings, 4- M.E. Lewis residence built in 1903 at site of McGregor residence.

click image for more info

Looking north at Moscow from Taylor Avenue in 1950. Moscow.
1950
University of Idaho Forestry Nursery in the foreground.

click image for more info

Looking northeast at Moscow from Taylor Avenue in 1950. Moscow.
1950
University of Idaho Forestry Nursery in the foreground. No. (1) Washburn-Wilson Seed Company seed processing plant sold to Carl Eisinger in 1960 and burned completely in 1961.

click image for more info

[Looking north at Moscow from Taylor Avenue?] Moscow.
1980-04-03
[Photograph taken] April 3, 1980

click image for more info

[Looking N.E. at Moscow from Taylor Avenue>] Moscow.
1980-04-03
[Photograph taken] April 3, 1980

click image for more info

Looking northeast at Moscow from Taylor Avenue about 1905. Moscow.
1905
Marie Shannon home in the foreground, now the location of the University of Idaho Forestry Nursery. Beyond the rail fence, Sweet Avenue, Paradise Creek. Northern Pacific [Railroad] turn table. South Main Street at right.

click image for more info

Looking northeast at the southeast part of Moscow. Moscow.
1910-04-01
From the east end of Henley Avenue. 1- Henley home and buildings, 2- German Lutheran Church at the southwest corner of Spotswood and Harrison streets. Picture 1910-11.

click image for more info

Looking east from the ridge between Lauder and Taylor avenues. Moscow.
1935
The cut is south Main Street hill or Highway 95. The road east of the highway is Styner Avenue. The fence in the right foreground is the location of Lauder Avenue. Tomers Butte in the center background. Picture in the 1930s.

click image for more info

Looking east from the ridge between Lauder and Taylor avenues. Moscow.
1976-01-28
Styner Avenue shows but not Lauder due to buildings obstructing the view. Taylor Avenue shows at the extreme left where it joins Highway 95. Picture January 28, 1976 by Clifford M. Ott.