The diffusion of useful and practical, research-based information on agriculture and related subjects has been a primary responsibility of the Idaho Agricultural Experiment Station and University of Idaho Extension since their beginnings.
The University of Idaho Board of Regents established the Idaho Agricultural Experiment Station at the UI in 1892 following passage of the federal Hatch Act (1887), which provided for the creation of agricultural experiment stations at state land-grant colleges. In addition to stimulating agricultural research, the act required the publishing of bulletins or reports of progress on station research and allocated $15,000 per year for conducting investigations and experiments and printing and distributing the results.
The University of Idaho College of Agriculture started to establish an Extension program in southern Idaho in 1910. In 1914, the federal Smith-Lever Act authorized cooperative extension work in agriculture and home economics between the state land-grant institutions and the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Extensionís role was to diffuse practical research-based information to people not attending college through instruction and practical demonstrations. Over the years, Extensionís mandate grew to include gardening, natural resources, youth development, and community development.
University of Idaho Extension
Bulletin Number 1, February 1912
This collection encompasses the research-based publishing of the Idaho Agricultural Experiment Station and University of Idaho Extension since their inceptions. Experiment station publishing started almost immediately in 1892 with a series of bulletins that ran until 1954. Extension publishing began in 1912 with a series of bulletins that ran until 1953. A new series of University of Idaho College of Agriculture bulletins began in 1953, starting with number 200, with contributions coming either from the Idaho Agricultural Experiment Station or the Idaho Agricultural Extension Service. A series of shorter College of Agriculture publications, the current information series, began in 1964 with titles from both the experiment station and extension. A series of highly technical research bulletins published by the Idaho Agricultural Experiment Station, the research bulletins, began in 1922.
Starting in the mid-1990s, experiment station and Extension publications were published on the Internet in PDF format as well as in print. By 2010, the vast majority of Extension and experiment station publications were available only online, for free access by all.
-Written by Diane Noel, May 2011
If you have any questions or suggestions, please email Devin Becker at firstname.lastname@example.org
Primary sources for practical, research-based information on Idaho Agriculture, Forestry, Gardening, and Family and Consumer Sciences.i
Hercules Mine, Burke (Idaho), 1901
1901 | Burke
Group of nine men and women in front of the Hercules Mine, shortly after its discovery; Caption on Front: Taken by buildings at Hercules No. 2 level. L to R: Ed Hedin, a Day employee; Emma Markwell; Henry Floyd Samuels; May Hutton; Jerome Day; Miss Hedin (sister of Ed Hedin); Myrtle White (who married Paulsen), and L. W. Hutton, wearing a cooks apron. August Paulsen stands on the wood pile.
Bunker Hill ""Glory Hole,"" Kellogg (Idaho), 1904
1904 | Masonia
Image shows miners and ore cars at the Bunker Hill ""Glory Hole" Caption on front: ""Miners work on the original Bunker Hill outcrop."" On back of image: ""Forty-six years of mining history in the Coeur d'Alene district of northern Idaho came to a close last Thursday, when the Bunker Hill ""Glory Hole"" [1886: 1904] Portion of original open ""glory hole."" Location papers were nailed to a big cedar tree on September 10, 1885. Hill and Sullivan Mining and Smelting Company celebrated discovery day at Kellogg. Location papers for the Bunker Hill outcrop, which has been developed into the world's premier lead-silver ore mines, were nailed to a big cedar tree on September 10, 1855, by Noah Kellogg and Phil O'Rourke, veteran prospectors. The picture shows a portion of the original open ""glory hole," was taken in 1897 [?]. The original location notice was posted near this spot. The original ore body has been followed downward more than a mile. The deepest workings are said to have exposed ore reserves of great dimension. During the last year an immense, hitherto unknown ore body was discovered on the No. 6 level, almost on the opposite side of the hill from the original discovery. (Spokane Chronicle, September 19, 1931. In Harry Marsh Scrapbook no. 3 page 96, Archives Group 23.) (In North Idaho Press, Jubilee Edition, June 10, 1958) This picture appears and the caption ""miners work on the original Bunker Hill outcrop, 1886)
Wallace (Idaho), Northern Pacific Depot
Front view of the Northern Pacific Railroad depot on the north end of 6th Street in Wallace, Idaho. Caption on Back: "Depot has a prominent corner turret, was built for $8,330 by the Northern Pacific Railroad ("as per plan 281-1" according to company records) with brick from China. The brick had been imported in 1890 for the Olympic Hotel in Tacoma. The hotel, burnt when only partially completed, was dismantled in 1899-1901 to provide material for the depots in Wallace and Missoula".
Wallace (Idaho), T.R. Roosevelt visit, 1903
1903 | Wallace
Image of President Theodore Roosevelt's visit to Wallace. He is shown sitting in the back of a horse-drawn carriage, surrounded by on-lookers on the street and in the windows of near-by buildings. Also shown in the carriage, are N.P. depot driver, Joe McDonald; Pat McGovern, chief of police and Harry W. McKinley.