Manuscript Group 265
5 cubic feet
The records of the Ray-Jefferson Mining Company are part of the records of Day Mines, Inc., donated to the University of Idaho by Henry Day in 1984 and 1985. Initial processing of this manuscript group was done by Lena M. Johnson in December 1987. Processing was completed by Michael Tarabulski in February 1992. Funds for processing were provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission, the U.S. Department of Education HEA Title II-C "Strengthening Research Library Resources" program, the Library Associates of the University of Idaho and other donors.
The Ray-Jefferson Mining Company was organized August 14, 1909, for the purpose of engaging in general mining. The first claims included, the "Ray" Lode, the "Jefferson" Lode and the "Lincoln" Lode, all in the Beaver Mining District in Shoshone County Idaho.
The first of the Ray-Jefferson directors included: David C. Smith, president; Daniel L. McGrath, vice president; E.G. Ellis, secretary/treasurer; A.G. Kerns, assistant secretary; and Edward Dolan. Little action occurred under their direction until 1915, at which time the "Carlisle", "Hill Group," and "Carbon Creek" mining claims were purchased and parts of the Ray-Jefferson mine were leased to other mining companies.
In 1916, Eugene and Harry Day locked horns with Interstate-Callahan over the acquisition of the Ray-Jefferson property. Although they were successful in acquiring the property, a higher price was paid than the fair market value. The new directors included Eugene R. Day, president, secretary and treasurer; Harry L. Day, vice-president; George L. Garrett, D.L. McGrath and James J. Murphy. James P. Maggy took over the position of secretary/treasurer a year later. A number of loans were taken out for the construction of the Ray-Jefferson mill with the hopes of a large return on profits. However, the Ray-Jefferson failed to live up to the Days' earlier expectations and little profit was made.
In 1918 the mine was closed and in 1919 the company began yearly assessments to repay debts acquired during their two years of operation. The assessments were so regular that when no assessments were levied in 1932 and 1933, a number of concerned stockholders wrote to the company because they had not received their yearly notice of assessment and were worried about their stock becoming delinquent. Some stockholders even went as far as to send in money so the stock would not become delinquent.
By 1940, Eugene R. Day had passed away and a new set of directors took over. These included Jerome J. Day, president; George K. Garrett, vice president; S.F. Heitfield, secretary/treasurer; and Frank M. Rothrock. During this year, the Day brothers convinced the directors of the Ray-Jefferson, Blue Grouse, Virginia, and Amazon-Manhattan Mining companies, to consolidate their properties into one company. The Days felt the most economical way was to create a new company, the Monitor Mining Company, and then have each company in turn join Monitor, handing over all property owned by the companies.
The Ray-Jefferson Mining Company existed for twenty-six years in which time little profit was made. All three of the Day brothers were at one time or another on the board of directors with Jerome and Eugene Day playing a major role in the end of the Ray-Jefferson, as well as the beginning of the Monitor Mining Company.
The records of the Ray-Jefferson Mining Company span the years 1909 to 1951, with the bulk of the material covering the years 1916 to 1940. Included are minutes of meetings, financial statements, correspondence with suppliers and stockholders, stock ledgers and journals, assessment records, lists of stockholders, financial ledgers, voucher and check registers, tax returns, and time books and payroll records.
Related materials can be found in the records of the Monitor Mining Company and among the papers of John H. Wourms.
The records of the n Mining Company are divided into five series: Records of the Board of Directors and the Stockholders, 1909-1940; General Correspondence and Related Records, 1915-1944; Capital Stock Records, 1910-1940; Financial Records, 1916-1951; Personnel Records, 1914-1916, 1929-1937
The first series, Records of the Board of Directors and the Stockholders, includes minutes and other records relating to meetings.
General Correspondence and Related Records, the second series, contains an alphabetical file which includes annual reports and statements, tax returns, claims, invoices, leases, contracts, stock related material and general correspondence.
The third series is Capital Stock Records. Included are stock ledgers and journals, and assessment records.
The fourth series, Financial Records, contains voucher registers for both the mine and the mill, financial ledgers, an appraisement, and a check register.
Personnel Records, the fifth series, includes time books and payrolls. Additional payroll records can be found in Monitor no. 362, 1916-1918
Removal of cancelled stock certificates, returned assessment notices, vouchers, paid checks, and duplicate materials reduced the size of this collection by 2 cubic feet.
Container I. Records of the Board of Directors and the Stockholders, 1909-1940 1-2 II. General Correspondence and Related Records, 1915-1944 3-4 III. Capital Stock Records, 1910-1940 4 IV. Financial Records, 1916-1951 5 V. Personnel Records, 1914-1916, 1929-1937 6
Box Folder Description
1 1-3 Minutes, 1909-1940 4-7 Records relating to meetings, 1915-1924 2 8-14 Records relating to meetings, 1926-1940
3 15 A, 1916-1938 16-17 Annual Reports and Statements, 1924-1941 18 Assessment work, 1926-1932, 1939 19-20 B-C, 1915-1941 21 Capital stock tax returns, 1923-1928 22 Claims, 1919, 1926, 1931 23 D, 1916-1938 24 Dissolution statements, 1940 25-28 E-H, 1916-1941 29 Hospitals, 1917-1920 30 I, 1916-1919, 1926-1940 31-33 Invoices and receipted bills, 1914-1916 34 Income tax: employees, 1916-1927 35 Income tax returns, 1920-1940 36 Incorporation, 1910 37 Insurance: fire, 1932, 1936 38 Insurance: workmen's compensation, 1938-1940 39 Inventory, November 1926 40-42 J-L, 1915-1941 43 Leases and agreements, 1916-1918 44 Legislation, social security, 1937-1940 4 45-46 M, 1916-1939 47 Mining contracts, 1917-1923 48 Miscellaneous, 1916-1935 49 Montana Power Co., 1932 50 McPherson, James, 1918 51-52 N-O, 1916-1937 53 Ore settlements, Ray-Jefferson--Carlisle vein, 1917 54 P, 1916-1939 55 Payroll, 1916-1917 56 Proof of labor, 1923-1931 57 Q-R, 1916-1940 58 Red Cross contribution, 1917 59 S, 1916-1944 60 Statements, Financial, 1917-1940 61 Stock consolidation, 1939-1940 62 Stock Exchange, Spokane, 1934-1939 63 Stock list, 1916-1928 64 Stock purchased by Day Family, 1916 65 Stock tax returns, 1934-1942 66 Stock transfers, 1916, 1936-1941 67 T, 1916-1937 68 Telegraph code, n.d. 69-71 U-W, 1916-1940 72 Wage and Hours Division, 1920 73 Water rights, 1916-1918 74 Y-Z, 1917-1919, 1927-1940
75-76 Ledgers, 1910-1940 5 77-78 Journals, 1916-1940 79-94 Assessments, 1919-1939 o.s. 95 Assessment register, 1919-1939
o.s. 96 Voucher register, 1916-1920 o.s. 97 Voucher register, 1921-1939 98 Voucher register, 1939-1940 6 99-101 Ledgers, 1916-1940 102 Mill ledger (E.R. Day) 1916-1917 103 Mill voucher register, 1916-1917 104 Appraisement, 1937 105 Check register, 1939-1951
106 Time books, 1917-1918, 1929-1937 o.s. 107 Pay rolls, June 1914-October 1915, April 1916