University of Idaho
logo

Manuscript Group 281

C & R Mining Company

Records, 1904-1961
2 cubic feet


The records of the C & R Mining Company are part of the records of Day Mines, Inc., donated to the University of Idaho by Henry Day in 1984 and 1985. Initial processing of this manuscript group was done by Clay Williams in January 1988 and Judith Nielsen in April 1988. Processing was completed under the direction of Michael Tarabulski in March 1992. Funds for processing were provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission, the U.S. Department of Education HEA Title II-C "Strengthening Research Library Resources" program, the Library Associates of the University of Idaho and other donors.

COMPANY HISTORY

The C & R Mining Company was originally incorporated on June 16, 1904, and remained active through the 1920s. Its property consisted on ten unpatented claims: C & R, Botha, Sidwell Fraction, Napoleon, Captain Cash, Summit, Knob Hill, June, Russell Fraction, and the Crater Fraction, on Sunset Peak, in the Lelande Mining District, near Burke, Idaho. Money to develop the mine's three tunnels was raised through stock assessments.

The company, headquartered in Spokane, Washington, failed to file reports with the Idaho Inspector of Mines from 1929 through 1949, and its charter lapsed for nonpayment of annual license fees.

It was reorganized by associates of Henry Day and reinstated as an Idaho corporation June 30, 1950, and on November 22, 1954 applied for an extension of incorporation, the original period of incorporation being fifty years. In 1961 the company voluntarily dissolved and the stockholders were given one share of DMI stock for every 100 shares of C & R Mining Co. stock when C & R merged with Day Mines, Inc. on April 28, 1961.

SCOPE AND CONTENT

The records of the C & R Mining Company span the years 1904 to 1961, but with very little information for the decades of the 30s and 40s. Included are minutes of meetings, financial statements, correspondence with stockholders, annual statements and reports, stock certificates, stock ledgers and journals, assessment records, lists of stockholders, financial ledgers and journals, a voucher registers, and capital stock tax returns.

ARRANGEMENT AND DESCRIPTION

The records of the C & R Mining Company are divided into four series.

The first series, Records of the Board of Directors and the Stockholders, includes two minute books, 1910-1928 which also contain reports to stockholders, correspondence, proofs of labor, and agreements. A folder contains the minutes of the company from 1950-1961. Loose items from the minute books include trial balances, correspondence regarding stock and other company business, notices of meetings, minutes of the July 21, 1928, November 9, 1928, and May 3, 1929 meetings, and a list of delinquent stock from assessment #7. Also included in this series are bylaws, articles of incorporation, agendas, ballots, notices of meetings, proxy statements, waiver of notice and consent to meeting forms, stockholder lists, certification of reinstatement, records relating to the dissolution of the company and financial statements.

General Correspondence and Related Records, the second series, contains correspondence with stockholders concerning assessments, stock value, and stock transfer, correspondence with the Old National Bank of Wallace concerning stock held in escrow at the bank, paid pills, including tax receipts from Shoshone County, and accounts with the Press-Times Publishing Co., and Day Mines, Inc. Also included are two leases, 1950-1951, for the Sunrise silver-lead mine.

The third series is Capital Stock Records. Included are stock ledgers and journals, one book of stock certificates, stock audits, lists of stockholders and stock assessment and exchange records.

The fourth series, Financial Records, contains general ledgers and journals, a voucher register, bank statements and paid checks for years not included in the ledgers, and capital stock tax returns.

Removal of cancelled stock certificates, returned assessment notices, vouchers, and duplicate materials reduced the size of this collection by 4 cubic feet.

SERIES LIST

	Container
I.	Records of the Board of Directors and the Stockholders, 1904-1961	1
II.	General Correspondence and Related Records, 1924-1960	1
III.	Capital Stock Records, 1904-1961	1-2
IV.	Financial Records, 1904-1961	2

C & R MINING COMPANY
INVENTORY

Box	Folder	Description                

I. Records of the Board of Directors and the Stockholders, 1904-1918

1	1-2	Minute books, 1910-1928
	3	Minutes, 1950-1961
	4	Loose items from minute books, 1916-1929
	5	By-laws and Articles of Incorporation, 1904-1955
	6-7	Records relating to meetings, 1950-1961
	8	Certification of reinstatement, 1950-1951
	9	Records relating to dissolution, 1960-1961
	10	Financial statements, 1916; 1923; 1952-1961

II. General Correspondence and Related Records, 1924-1960

	11	Correspondence concerning stock transfers, 1950-1959
	12-15	Correspondence A-Z, 1950-1958
	16	Lease, Sunrise Silver-lead, 1950-1951
	17	Old National Bank, 1924; 1950-1960
	18	Paid bills, 1950-1953
	19	Report and correspondence related to a geological appraisal of the C & R Mining Company, 1960

III. Capital Stock Records, 1904-1961

	20	Stock ledger, 1905-1958
	21	Stock ledger, 1904-1913
	22	Stock ledger, 1912-1923
	23	Stock ledger, 1912-1960
2	24	Stock journal, 1955-1960
	25	Stock certificates 1751-2000, 1925-2954
	26	Stock audits, 1904-1916
	27	Stock audit, 1950
	28	Lists of stockholders, 1911; 1950-1959
	29	Records relating to certificates and stock exchange, 1961
	30-31	Records relating to completed stock transfers, DMI, 1961
	32-34	Records relating to assessments, 1923-1958

IV. Financial Records, 1904-1961

	35	General ledger, 1904-1961
	36-37	Financial ledgers, 1904-1929
	38-39	Cash journals, 1904-1926
	40-41	General journals, 1904-1923
	42	Voucher register, 1954-1961
	43	Bills and receipts, 1923-1924
	44	Bank statements and paid checks, 1912; 1950-1961
	45	Capital stock tax, 1914-1958

June 1996 / mg281.htm

UI Library | Special Collections