Manuscript Group 282
1.5 cubic feet
The records of the Hornsilver Mining Company are part of the records of Day Mines, Inc., donated to the University of Idaho by Henry Day in 1984 and 1985. Initial processing of this manuscript group was done by Judith Nielsen in April 1987. Processing was completed under the direction of Michael Tarabulski in March 1992. Funds for processing were provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission, the U.S. Department of Education HEA Title II-C "Strengthening Research Library Resources" program, the Library Associates of the University of Idaho and other donors.
The Hornsilver Mining and Milling Company, with offices in Wallace, Idaho, was incorporated May 31, 1901. Its capital consisted of 1,000,000 shares of stock with a par value of 10 cents per share. On June 11, 1946 the Articles of Incorporation were amended to increase the capital stock and extend corporate existence to perpetuity. The original claim included the Oregon, Jumbo, Idaho, Arizona, California, Utah, Colorado, Bolivar, and Nevada properties. By later locations, the Utah and Arizona were replaced by the Castle 9 and 10, and the California claim was dropped. The Montana and Peerless #15 were located to cover the area between the Peerless and Hornsilver groups. In 1954 the Tawny Girl was purchased from Julius Nuss in a compromise settlement of a law suit. In 1960 the Hornsilver consisted of ten unpatented lode claims in the Placer Center District northwest of Placer creek, 3 miles south of Wallace. The main ore was lead-silver. From 1920 to 1926 the tunnel was extended from 1,000 to 1,500 feet. After that time the only work done was annual labor and repair. Money was raised through stock assessments. In 1950 the office, which from 1929-1946 had followed manager Russell F. Collins on his moves to Coeur d'Alene, Seattle, and Leevining, California, was moved to the Day Building. On April 25, 1960, shareholders approved the sale of the real property to Day Mines, Inc. The company was liquidated on September 6, 1960.
Officers of the company included: J.F. Mitz, President, 1901-1920; James R. Taylor, president, 1921; John F. Blitz, President, 1922-1923, O.R. Young, Secretary, 1921-1923; Ben F. Collins, president; Russell F. Collins, secretary-manager, 1924-1945; Walter H. Hansom, president, 1946-1958; L.J. Randall, secretary, 1946-1949; and S.F. Heitfeld, secretary, 1950-1958. In 1954 Henry L. Day became manager, and in 1959 he was president and manager of the company with R.W. Anno as secretary.
The records of the Hornsilver Mining and Milling Company span the years 1901 to 1960, with the bulk of the material covering the years 1945 to 1960. Included are minutes of meetings, financial statements, correspondence with stockholders, annual statements and reports to state agencies, stock ledgers and journals, assessment records, lists of stockholders, financial ledgers and journals, vouchers, check registers, and tax returns.
The records of the Hornsilver Mining and Milling Company are divided into four series.
The first series, Records of the Board of Directors and the Stockholders, includes a handwritten minute book which also contains the articles of incorporation, agreements, notices of assessments and lists of delinquent stock; there are also typed minutes for the meetings held from 1948 to 1960. Two folders of records relating to the meetings include correspondence, notices of and agendas for the meetings, proxy statements, reports of elections, notices of assessments, balance sheets and a geologic appraisal of the company. Also included is a folder of yearly financial statements for the years 1946 to 1960.
General Correspondence and Related Records, the second series, contains office memoranda, correspondence with stockholders, organizational documents such as articles of incorporation and bylaws, the decree of dissolution of the company, records of several legal cases, reports to the state of Idaho, a property file, stock audits and tax returns.
The third series is Capital Stock Records. Included are stock ledgers and a stock journal, an assessment journal, assessment receipt books and other records relating to assessments. The roll book for the May 1946 assessment may be found in the voucher register (folder 45).
The fourth series, Financial Records, contains financial ledgers, a cash journal, a voucher register which also contains the assessment roll for the May 1946 assessment, and checkbook stubs.
Removal of cancelled stock certificates, returned assessment notices, vouchers, paid checks, bank statements, and duplicate materials reduced the size of this collection by two cubic feet.
Container I. Records of the Board of Directors and the Stockholders, 1901-1960 1 II. General Correspondence and Related Records, 1901-1960 1-2 III. Capital Stock Records, 1901-1960 2 IV. Financial Records, 1901-1960 2
Box Folder Description
1 1 Minute book, 1901-1946 2 Minutes, 1948-1960 3-4 Records relating to meetings, 1944-1960 5 Financial statements, 1946-1960
6 A-B, 1946-1960 7 Bylaws, 1946-1949 8 C, 1939-1960 9 Complaint and Summons, Daigle case, 1950-1954 10 D, 1948-1960 11 Decree of dissolution, 1960 12 F-H, 1946-1960 13 Hoban and Small estates, 1949-1950 14 I-K, 1958-1959 15 Idaho, State of, Reports, 1946-1949 16 Keane-Nuss, et al. escrow, 1954-1960 17 M, 1948-1956 2 18 Miscellaneous, 1926-1929 19 Miscellaneous correspondence, Walter H. Hansom, attorney, 1947-1948 20 N, 1948-1958 21 Nuss, et al., 1939-1950 22 O-P, 1954-1960 23 Power site withdrawal, 1960 24 Property file, 1939-1950 25 Quartz location notices, 1941-1945 26 R, 1948-1952 27 Rothrock, F.M., 1945-1953 28 S-T, 1958-1960 29 Stock audit, n.d. 30 Stock audit, 1948 31 Stock, Exchange of, 1960 32 Stockholders list, 1944-1959 33 Taxes, 1919-1949 34 W, 1925-1960
35-36 Stock ledgers, 1901-1946 37 Stock journal, 1901-1958 os 38 Assessment journal, 1923-1927 39 Assessment receipt books, 1910-1951 40-41 Records relating to assessments, 1946-1958
42-43 Financial ledgers, 1901-1960 44 Cash journal, 1901-1928 os 45 Voucher register, 1946-1960 46 Checkbook stubs, 1911-1928 47 Check register: Scrip Share Redemption Fund, 1939-1953