Manuscript Group 292
1 cubic foot
The records of the Stanley Mining Company are part of the records of Day Mines, Inc., donated to the University of Idaho by Henry Day in 1984 and 1985. Initial processing of this manuscript group was done by Judith Nielsen in November 1987, as part of the project funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission. Processing was completed by Judith Nielsen in June 1992.
The Stanley Mining Company, an Idaho corporation, was formed on April 16, 1926, for the purpose of taking over all of the property of the Stanley Consolidated Mining and Milling Company, a corporation organized in the State of Washington on April 6, 1900. Eugene Day was the largest stockholder in the original company and did much of the development work at his own expense. The stockholders of the Stanley Consolidated Company had voted for the reorganization on September 18, 1925. The directors of the new company were John H. Wourms, P.J. Maggy, W.A. Devan, Walter B. Heitfeld, and Joseph A. Brown. The Day family owned just over 49% of the stock.
When the directors held their first meeting on February 26, 1927, they voted to levy an assessment of 4 mills per share to pay off the outstanding indebtedness of the Stanley Consolidated company amounting to $2,141.55.
The property remained idle after 1926 except for assessment work on the Babe & Bobbie claims which were patented in 1932. Other claims included the Badger, Euna, Ibex, Leopard, Leopard Fraction, Panorama, Panorama Nos. 2, 3, 4, & 5, Panther, Stanley, and Silver Chief, all located in the Lelande District of Burke. The mine was developed by three tunnels, the longest of which was 1630 feet.
The directors met infrequently. Between the 1940 and 1945 meetings three of the five directors had died: F.M. Rothrock and S.F. Heitfeld being the survivors. At the 1945 meeting Henry L. Day, Wray Farmin, and Paul Jessup were elected to fill the vacancies.
On June 18, 1947 the directors met to consider the proposed joint agreement of consolidation with the Hercules and ten other companies, i.e., Tamarack & Custer, Monitor, Duluth, Crystal Lead, Dayrock, Sherman Lead, Treasure Vault, King, Western Union, and Happy Day. The agreement was approved and submitted to the stockholders on September 24, 1947.
The records of the Stanley Mining Company span the years 1900 to 1947, with the bulk of the material covering the years 1926 to 1947. Included are minutes of meetings, financial statements, correspondence with stockholders, reports to state agencies, stock ledgers and journals, assessment records, lists of stockholders, financial ledgers and journals, check registers, and tax returns. Some of the material in this record group is that of the earlier Stanley Consolidated Mining and Milling Company.
The records of the Stanley Mining Company are divided into five series.
The first series, Records of the Board of Directors and the Stockholders, includes minutes of meetings, notices of meetings agendas, lists of stockholders, proxy statements, and financial statements.
General Correspondence and Related Records, the second series, is an alphabetically arranged file containing annual reports to state and federal agencies, correspondence with stockholders concerning stock purchases and transfers, leases, location notices and proofs of labor. Some of the material is that of the earlier Stanley Consolidated Mining and Milling Company.
The third series is Capital Stock Records. Included are a ledger belonging to the Stanley Consolidated company as well as a ledger and journal of the Stanley company, records of assessment #1 in 1927, and stock audit and transfer information.
The fourth series, Financial Records, contains a financial ledger and check registers.
Personnel Records, the fifth series, contains a monthly time book covering the months August-October 1919.
Removal of cancelled stock certificates, returned assessment notices, vouchers, paid checks, bank statements, and duplicate materials reduced the size of this collection by one cubic feet.
Container I. Records of the Board of Directors and the Stockholders, 1926-1947 1 II. General Correspondence and Related Records, 1913-1947 1 III. Capital Stock Records, 1900-1947 1 IV. Financial Records, 1917-1947 1 V. Personnel Records, 1919 1
Box Folder Description
1 1 Minutes, 1926-1947 2 Articles of Incorporation, By-laws, Minutes, 1926 3-4 Records relating to meetings, 1927-1947
5 A, 1929-1930 6 Annual reports: State Inspector of Mines, 1923-1946 7 Annual reports: U.S. Bureau of Mines, 1942-1946 8 Annual statement of domestic corporations, 1923-1947 9 B, 1923-1943 10 C-L, 1922-1945 11 M, 1926-1947 12 Miscellaneous papers: leases, quartz location notices, affidavits, 1926-1947 13 Miscellaneous papers of Stanley Consolidated Mining & Milling Company (assays, promissory notes, assessment income), 1914-1923 14 N-P, 1922-1947 15 President's report, 1922 16 Proofs of labor, 1920-1931 17 Q-S, 1926-1940 18 Statements, Financial, 1930-1947 19 Stockholders lists, 1925-1947 20 T-Z, 1915-1947 21-22 Taxes: Corporation income tax, 1919-1947 23 Taxes: Capital stock, 1921-1926 24 Taxes: Property, 1913, 1930 25 Wage and Hour Division, 1939
26 Stock ledger, 1900-1925 27 Stock ledger, 1926-1947 28 Stock journal, 1926-1947 29 Assessment records, #1, 1927 30 Stock audits and transfer records, 1922-1926 31 Cancelled and blank stock certificates, 1923-1947
32 Financial ledger, 1917-1947 33 Check register, 1926-1947
34 Monthly time book, 1919