Manuscript Group 320
The records of the Fern Mining Company are part of the records of Day Mines, Inc., donated to the University of Idaho by Henry Day in 1984 and 1985. Initial processing of this manuscript group was done under the direction of Richard C. Davis in September, 1988, with funds provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission. Processing was completed by Judith Nielsen in July 1992.
The Fern Mining Company was incorporated in April 1946, for the purpose of acquiring claims in Placer Center Mining District, Shoshone County, Idaho, including the Fern Group, from the Tamarack & Custer Consolidated Mining Co. The original Fern directors included Henry L. Day, president; F.M. Rothrock, vice president; S.B. Heitfeld, secretary-treasurer; Paul B. Jessup, comptroller and attorney; and Wray D. Farmin. Tamarack & Custer initially, and after 1947 Day Mines, Inc., owned all the outstanding stock of Fern Mining Co. In addition to holding the Fern Group and other claims acquired, Fern Mining Company entered into participation agreements with Day Mines, Asarco, and other companies for exploration and development work. This exploration and development, as well as assessment work required to hold Fern's unpatented claims, was performed by Day Mines. In October 1947 Fern transferred to Day Mines certain assets in cancellation of its accumulated debt. Fern was a relatively inactive company, but over the next twenty years it again accumulated debts to Day Mines, totaling over $80,000. On December 2, 1968, the Fern board of directors agreed to exchange all their company's assets and liabilities in return for its outstanding shares held by Day Mines Inc., and then to dissolve the corporation.
The only item in this record group is a bound copy of the minutes of the stockholders and directors, for the period April 18, 1946 to December 2, 1968.
Related records can be found in the records of Day Mines, Inc.
os 1 Minutes of the directors and stockholders, 1946-1968