Manuscript Group 372
1 cubic foot
The records of the Moscow Fine Arts Club were donated to the University of Idaho Library by Jan (Mrs. John) Hallaq in December 1991. They were processed by Judith Nielsen in March 1995.
The Moscow Fine Arts Club was organized in April 1923 as the Moscow Music Club; membership was limited to women, and it had 25 members. In 1945 the name was changed to the Moscow Fine Arts Club. The purpose of the club, as stated in the by-laws, was "to foster and promote a study and appreciation of the fine arts in the community." It did this by sponsoring music programs by local artists, and by granting yearly scholarships to music students - later including art and theater arts. Citing lack of interest among the membership in filling executive offices, the officers for 1989 proposed to dissolve the club at the May 1989 meeting. The final recorded minutes are for December 1989.
The records for the Moscow Fine Arts Club include the constitution and by-laws, minutes of meetings, membership information, programs, surveys, yearbooks, and two scrapbooks with clippings of club sponsored activities.
1 1 Constitution and by-laws, 1957-1989 14 2-5 Minutes, 1927-1989 266 6 Installation of officers, 1977-1983 14 7 Membership, 1984-1987 9 8 Miscellaneous, 1941-1989 9 9 Moscow Arts Commission. Art Directory, 1979 1 10 Programs, 1952-1989 12 11 Proposal to disband, 1988 4 12 Survey, 1982-1988 6 13 70th year reunion, April 27, 1993 3 14-17 Yearbooks, 1945/46-1988/89 42 o.s. 18-19 Scrapbooks, 1946-1985 2