College of Law
Administration Office: 208-885-2255
Dean’s Office: 208-885-4977
711 S. Rayburn Drive
College of Law
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 2321
Moscow, ID 83844-2321
First Monday - February 5, 2007
In this issue:
- College of Law Fulfills "Rogers Scholarship Challenge" - Again!
- Law Faculty Take Expertise Beyond the Campus
Beginning in the 2003-04 academic year, philanthropist James E. Rogers has made “challenge” gifts every year to the College of Law, offering to match other donations in support of recruiting scholarships for highly qualified students. Each scholarship commitment follows the student through three years of law school if the academic standards designated with each gift are satisfied. The Rogers gift commitments have reached a total of approximately $659,000 in 2006-07, and the College has received gifts or commitments in a similar total from UI law alumni and friends.
The College expresses its gratitude to Jim Rogers for his extraordinary vision. The College also thanks the following donors, listed alphabetically, whose generous multi-year gifts during the same period have enhanced the College’s ability to recruit exceptional law students.
- Eberle, Berlin, Kading, Turnbow, McKlveen & Jones, Chtd.
- Felton, Michael H.
- Friends of UI and Northwest Nazarene University: Randy Barton, Dennis Johnson, Randy Peterman, Bill Russell, and the United Heritage Fund at the Idaho Community Foundation
- Hall, Farley, Oberrecht & Blanton, P.A.
- Holden, Kidwell, Hahn & Crapo, P.L.L.C.
- Holland & Hart, L.L.P.
- Hopkins, Roden, Crockett, Hansen & Hoopes, P.L.L.C.
- Racine, Olson, Nye, Budge & Bailey, Chtd.
- Stoel Rives, L.L.P.
- UI Law Class of 1971: Dwight Baker, D. Blair Clark, John Croner, Ron Douglas, Howard Foley, David Leroy, Simon Martin, Jim Reid, Ron Schilling, Vernon K. Smith, John Varin, and Robert Zagelow
- Wheeler, Jacqueline and Dennis
- Whistler, James and Kathryn
- Witherspoon Kelley Davenport & Toole, P.S.
Further information about student scholarships and other giving opportunities may be obtained from Michele Bartlett, College of Law Development Director.
Despite its relatively small size, the College of Law undertakes a remarkable agenda of outreach and service to the public, the judiciary, the profession, and legal education at state, national, and international levels – all in addition to the demands of scholarship, classroom teaching, and CLE presentations. Here is a compendium of topical areas covered by institutional outreach and faculty service during 2006 and 2007 to date. (Further information on individual faculty members is available on the College website or from Dean Burnett at (email@example.com).
- American Bar Association Section on Administrative and Regulatory Practice, Newsletter State Reporter
Advocacy and Dispute Resolution
- Idaho State Bar Alternative Dispute Resolution Section Governing Council
- Idaho Supreme Court Evidence Rules Committee (Mediator Privilege Subcommittee)
- Northwest Institute for Dispute Resolution
- United Nations Commission on International Trade Law – Ben Beard
- American Bar Association Section of Business Law: UCC Committee, Cyberspace Committee, and Electronic Commerce Subcommittee
- Vandal Enterprise and Innovation Works
- American Association of Law Schools Employment Discrimination Section Executive Committee
- American Bar Association Family Law Quarterly Editorial Board
- Association of American Law Schools Juvenile and Family Law Executive Committee
- Idaho Coordinated Response to Domestic/Sexual Violence
- Idaho State Bar Family Law Council of Family Law Section
- Idaho Supreme Court: Child Protection Committee and Committee on Children and Families in the Courts
- Second Judicial District Family Court Services Advisory Committee
Governance of Public Entities
- Idaho Public Television Foundation Board and Friends of KUID-TV
- Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre, Moscow, Board of Directors
- TIAA-CREF Idaho Mutual Fund Program Board of Trustees
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Idaho Council to End Domestic Violence/Trafficking against Immigrants
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Immigration Issues Advisory Committee
- Idaho Annual Indian Law Conference
- Idaho State Bar Indian Law Section Governing Council
- Association of American Law Schools: Executive Committees of the Comparative Law Section and the International Law Section
- German Law Journal (co-editor)
- Idaho Annual International Law Symposium
Legal Education (National Service)
- American Bar Association: Accreditation Standards Review Committee and Law School Site Inspection Teams
- Association of American Law Schools House of Representatives
- Law School Admissions Council Audit Committee
- Legal Writing Institute Upper Division Writing Committee
Legal Profession, Judiciary, and Administration of Justice
- American Bar Association Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar Professionalism Committee
- American Bar Foundation (Elected Fellow)
- American Judicature Society National Advisory Board and Task Force on Judicial Independence and Accountability
- American Law Institute (Elected and Ex-Officio Members)
- Federal Defenders Services of Idaho, Inc., Board of Directors
- Idaho Law Foundation: Board of Directors, CLE Committee, Law-Related Education Committee, Legal Services Delivery Council
- Hon. Ray McNichols American Inn of Court
- Idaho State Bar: Professionalism and Ethics Section Governing Council, Bar Examination Review Committee, Delivery of Legal Services Advisory Committee, Volunteer Lawyers Program (Policy Council and Institutional Representative)
- Idaho Supreme Court: Court of Appeals/Appellate Structure Committee, Evidence Rules Committee and Judicial Education Committee
- Second Judicial District: Access to Justice Committee and Community Justice Initiative
- American Association of Law Libraries Diversity Committee
- Endeavor Law Users Special Interest Group
- Idaho Commission on Libraries Special Projects Librarian Action Team
- Idaho Library Association: Intellectual Freedom Committee and Book Award Committee
- Idaho State Library Facilities Planning Group
Natural Resources and Environmental Law
- American Bar Association: Annual Water Law Planning Committee; Section on Environment, Energy and Resources (SEER) Water Committee; and Natural Resource and Environment Section Public Service for Water Committee
- American Society for Environmental History (ASEH): Outreach Committee and Local Arrangements Committee, 2007 Annual Meeting (Boise)
- Briefings for Congress and Department of Interior on Endangered Species Act
- “Dividing the Waters” Annual Conference Planning Committee
- Federal Public Lands Task Force
- Palouse Basin Annual Water Summit Planning Committee
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Walker River Basin Settlement
- Western Legal History (Ninth Circuit Historical Society publication), Editorial Board
- Winters v. U.S. 100-Year Anniversary Conference Planning Committee
Public Interest Law
- American Civil Liberties Union Idaho Chapter: Board of Directors, Legal Committee, Litigation Committee, Nominating Committee
- Idahoans for Openness in Government
- The Forum on Public Policy Editorial Advisory Board