College of Law
Administration Office: 208-885-2255
Dean’s Office: 208-885-4977
711 S. Rayburn Drive
College of Law
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 2321
Moscow, ID 83844-2321
First Monday - December 2, 2013
- College of Law Recognized for ADR and International Law Curricula
- College of Law Alumni Receive Professionalism and Pro Bono Awards
- Every Gift Makes a Difference
The Fall 2013 issue of preLaw magazine identified the University of Idaho College of Law programs in International law and Alternative Dispute Resolution as specialty programs for law students. PreLaw profiled law school specialty programs and selected programs that offer a concentration in a particular practice area and who offer clinical or externship opportunities in the concentration. In a time when specialization in the practice of law is becoming the norm, prospective law students look for such program offerings in their law school selection decision.
According to the Law School News section of Around the Nation the College of Law saw an 11.9 percent increase in applications, making us one of only four law schools in the nation who saw an increase of ten percent or more was featured. Part of this growth was attributed to our branch in Boise, where we offer third-year students the option to take clinics, externships and a semester-in-practice program in the Treasure Valley.
The Idaho State Bar recognized several members for their outstanding professionalism and pro bono work at the annual “road show” in each of the judicial districts during November. College of Law alumni were among those recognized. The Professionalism award is given to “at least one attorney from each of the seven judicial districts in Idaho who has engaged in extraordinary activity in his or her community, in the state, or in the profession, which reflects the highest standards of professionalism.” The Denise O’Donnell Day Pro Bono Award is “presented to the person(s) from each judicial district that have donated extraordinary time and effort to help clients who are unable to pay for services.”
We are proud of our alumni who have been recognized for their professionalism and service.
Professionalism Award 2013
- William Boyd ’65 – First District
- Judge Gregory Culet ’78 – Third District
- James Meservy ’79 – Fifth District
- Charles Homer ’74 – Seventh District
Denise O’Donnell Day Pro Bono Award
- Jay Sturgell ’94 – First District
- Chuck Kovis ’93 – Second District
- Matthew Striver ’10 – Third District
- Audrey Numbers ’93 – Fourth District
- Kirstin Ocker ’90 – Fourth District
- Aaron Crary ’08 – Seventh District
Many people think about making charitable gifts as the calendar year nears December 31st. We hope you will consider a gift to support the College of Law. All alumni should receive an annual giving letter in the mail in the next few weeks, which will include giving options and a return envelope. You can also go online to the College of Law Inspiring Futures website to make your gift. A gift to the College of Law Excellence Fund provides the greatest flexibility and allows the dean and other advisors to direct funds to those areas of greatest need in the College.
Some things to keep in mind as you make your charitable giving decisions for 2013.
- Under extended charitable IRA legislation for 2013, if you are 70 1/2 or older, you can make charitable gifts now from your individual retirement accounts (IRA) without undesirable tax effects. More information about making such a gift can be found at the University Estate, Trust and Gift Planning website or by contacting Terri Muse, Director of Development at firstname.lastname@example.org or (208) 364-4044.
- In 2011, the state of Idaho passed legislation that allows you to direct a portion of your Idaho tax liability to the University of Idaho. The law increased the tax credit made available to all with an Idaho tax obligation over the next five years. For more information about tax education credit.
- If you would like information on making a multi-year pledge or planned gift, please contact Terri Muse at email@example.com or (208) 364-4044.