Historical Photographs of Northern Idaho Mines, Towns, and Scenery, 1894-1964
In 1964 the University of Idaho Library received a collection of over 200,000 nitrocellulose and glass plate negatives taken by Nellie Stockbridge and her predecessor and founder of the studio, Mr. T.N. Barnard. The photos were taken during 1894-1964 of various aspects of life in the Wallace/Kellogg mining area. Prints were made of many of the negatives, and the photographs and negatives were cataloged by the Special Collection Department.
In 1889 T.N. Barnard and his wife moved to Wallace, Idaho where he established his photo studio. The studio was destroyed in a fire in 1890 with a small amount of his negatives surviving. Most of the photographs taken in the early years "included landscapes, placer workings, townscapes, and panoramic views" of Wallace and Murray Idaho, taken on 5 x 7 and 8 x 10 dry-plate negatives. Barnard made most of his living from his landscape photographs, which were for sale to the general public and commissioned portraits.
Ten years later in 1898, Nellie Stockbridge arrived in Wallace, Idaho. Stockbridge was a dedicated photographer and businesswoman. Initially, Stockbridge worked as a retoucher for Barnard in his studio, and later took over the business when Barnard became mayor of Wallace. Stockbridge was most notable for photographing floods, avalanches, fires, and work in the mines. Stockbridge continued to take photographs of the area until the 1960s.
For more information on Nellie Stockbridge, click here
Contact Devin Becker, digital initiatives librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org.