Train crew member. Lewiston, Idaho
Member of the train crew at Lewiston.
Rabbit 1890 vintage. Location unknown.
Rabbit 1890 vintage. Location unknown.
Stallion 1890 vintage. Location unknown.
Stallion 1890 vintage. Location unknown.
Looking west from Main Street south of First Street. Moscow.
1. Back side of Baptist parsonage on Jackson Street 2. Moscow Commercial Club, southwest corner of First and Jackson streets. 3. Back side of Baptist Church, southeast [corner] of First and Jackson streets. 4. South side of building on Main Street. (See below [90-0031].
Dr. E.T. Baker. Moscow, Idaho
Not to be forgotten. Moscow's Dr. E.T. Baker, veterinarian for many years from the 1920s to the 1950s. He took over from Dr. John Thompson, the pioneer veterinarian. Baker lived for many years at the southeast corner of Sixth and Washington streets.
Tracing the old Nez Perces Trail. Moscow, Idaho
No. 1 - Marker located five miles south of Moscow on Highway 95 tells of the coming of the first white men to the site of Moscow, June 20, 1855. No. 2 - Duncan Cameron pioneer home. His daughters Annie, Margaret, and Alexandria lived here nearly all their lives. No. 3 - Tom Crowley pioneer home. The Carl Grendhal's lived here at the time of the tour. [1930s] No. 4 - Site of the permanent marker at the junction of the Greater Nez Perce Trail and Stevens Trail. No. 5 - Site of the first tree planted in the Moscow area by Mr. and Mrs. George W. Tomer, May 6, 1871. No. 6 - Marker located two-and-one-half miles east of Moscow on Highway 8 shows the location of the first tree planted by Mr. and Mrs. George W. Tomer.
Stevens Spring. Latah County, Idaho
Stevens Spring area located in Township 38 N. Range 5 W. Sect. 5. in 240 acres known in early days as the W.H. Biggs farm. Spring is about one mile east of the junction of Highway 95 and the Jacksha [Road] cutoff and may be seen from this point. Governor I.I. Stevens and 22 men and a good-sized pack train camped overnight at the spring June 20, 1855. Picture by [Clifford M.] Ott, 1977.
Junction of Highway 95 and Jacksha Road. Latah County, Idaho
No. 1 - On map. Top [90-0112] picture five miles south of Moscow on Highway 95 and junction of the Jacksha Road. No. 1- Dr. C.J. Brosnan, No. 2- George W. Tomer (guide). Top picture [90-0112] taken 1937. Bottom picture [90-0113] shows no marker June 25, 1976.
Pioneer home of the Cameron sisters. Latah County, Idaho
Pioneer home of the Cameron sisters, consisting of Annie, Margaret, and Alexandria Cameron, who are shown standing to the right of the entrance. The sisters have lived here continuously for the past 50 years. Their comfortable farmhouse is situated on an eminence overlooking an area of brilliant green slopes in the direction of the city of Moscow. About half-mile down the valley from the Cameron home, running in a general east and west direction, is the famous camas grounds of the Nez Perces. Indians gathered for the annual camas harvest here every year about June 15. The camas was to the Indian what the wheat or potato crop was to the white man. To the Indian, camas was wheat and flour and bread. The camas fields in Tat-kin-mah, the place of the spotted deer, as the Indians called modern Moscow areas, was a noted camas ground. The camas plant, a species of the lily (onion) family, is found only in flood plains and mountain meadows of the Rocky Mountain region and westward. It is, therefore, entirely Western American. No. 2- On Map. About two miles south and one mile east of South Main Street on the west side of Paradise Ridge Road. No. 1- Dr. C.J. Brosnan, No. 2- George M. Tomer, No. 3-4-5- Camerson sisters. Picture 1937. [C.J. Brosnan may have written this text.]
Carl Grendahl home. Latah County, Idaho
Carl Grendahl home. Latah County, Idaho This is a scene on the lawn of the present Carl Grendahl home, formerly occupied by Thomas Crowley, a pioneer settler of Moscow. It is the old Thomas Crowley house, situated near the junction of Stevens' Trail and the Greater Nez Perce Trail, which may be seen today in a field a few roads distant. Down the gentle slopes to the eastward of the attractive Grendahl farm may be seen a section of the famous five-mile Indian race track, used by Indians since the spread of the horse northward. The Mexican or Spanish mustangs followed the Spanish bunch grass northward. These Spanish ponies weighed from 600 to 800 pounds. The bunchgrass of this region was an ideal food for horses and assisted in building up a pony noted for his stamina and endurance. The finding of tools and weapons of Indians at this place established the fact that this vicinity was in frequent use as a camping ground. Further discoveries may tell a story of aboriginal trade. The meeting places, when once established, served as trading centers; and lost articles often can be traced to their place of origin. The various names of a given piece of merchandise by different language groups established a ""time perspective"", as the scientists call it, in aboriginal culture. The culture loan words help to establish the extent in time of their trade relations. From this attractive residence, near the windmill, a few feet to the right of this picture, can be seen the old spring used by Father Cataldo and countless other horseback travellers over the trail. In his letters, Father Cataldo speaks of the hospitality of Mr. Thomas Crowley, whose guest he frequently was. Recently, a granite pestle used by the Indians in grinding their camas food was found near the scene of this picture, and also a large flint arrowhead and other Indian tools. No. 3- On map. About 2 1/2 miles south east of Moscow on the west side of the Linville Road. No. 1- Carl Grendahl, No. 2- Mrs. Carl Grendahl, No. 3- George M. Tomer, and No. 4- Dr. C.J. Brosnan. Picture taken 1937. [C.J. Brosnan may have written this text.]
Temporary marker. Latah County, Idaho [Junction of Highway 95 and Jacksha Road]
Temporary marker erected by the Moscow Chamber of Commerce in 1931. At this place on June 20, 1855, Governor I.I. Stevens party, consisting of 22 persons and a good-sized pack train, camped for the night, after it left Red Wolf's camp near the site of Lewiston, passed near modern Uniontown, and headed in a northeast direction to the Deeston Spring. Picture shows the trail descending the ridge and swinging in a northeastward direction to meet the Greater Nez Perce Trail at the head of the old camping ground, along which lies the Ti-net-pan-up, or South Palouse River. Trails can be traced by the different aspects or faces of the vegetation covering the trails. Compacting of the sub-soil accounts for this change. Such old and partly obliterated trails can more readily be traced from a distance of a mile or so, than from a few yards.
Moscow's oldest tree and historical marker. Latah County, Idaho
No. 6- On map. This marker located two-and-one-half miles east of South Main Street at the junction of Highway 8 and a north-south county road. Marker shows the location of Moscow's oldest tree planted by Mr. and Mrs. George W. Tomer May 6, 1871. No. 1- George M. Tomer (son of George W.), No. 2- Nellie Tomer Handlin (daughter of George M.) No. 3- (daughter of Nellis and Roy Handlin), No. 4- Roy Handling, No. 5- C.J. Munson, No. 6- Dr. C.J. Brosnan. Picture taken summer of 1937.
Monument marking junction of Steven's Trail and Greater Nez Perce Trail. Latah County, Idaho
No. 4- On map. Located about three miles southeast of Moscow at the northwest corner at the junction of Lenville Road and [Mill Road]. Monument marks the junction of Steven's Trail with the Greater Nez Perce Trail used over 1,000 years. Arriving here June 21, 1855, Governor Stevens recorded the first history of the Moscow area. Erected by the Worthwhile Club in 1938. George M. Tomer (guide) at the left of the monument in white shirt and dark tie. Dr. C.J. Brosnan at right of monument in dark suit. Two above pictures [90-0120, 90-0121] taken about 1938.
Moscow's oldest tree and historical marker now disappeared. Latah County, Idaho
Marker in the top picture [90-0118] was donated and erected by the summer school class of Dr. C.J. Brosnan, department of American History, University of Idaho in 1937. Bottom picture [90-0119] taken June 25, 1976, shows the marker gone and nothing to show where the oldest tree was located.
Moscow's last neighborhood grocery plans to close doors.
219 West Third Street, March 1970. Grocery to Close - Johnny's Market, last of Moscow's small independent grocery stores, is going out of business. Planning to close at the end of this week -- ""or by the first of the month,"" the store will conduct a ""going-out-of-business"" sale beginning Wednesday, according to manager Leo Gormsen. Gormsen, who has managed the store for eight years, is planning to seek other employment.
Picture copied from a panoramic of Moscow in 1926.
1- Stand Pipe (water tank), 2- Tomer's Butte, 3- Irving School, 4- second high school on Third Street. 5- C Street, 6- vinegar plant, 7- A Street, 8- Idaho Hotel. 9- North Main Street, 10- City water works (pumping plant). Vinegar plant burned November 1956.
McConnell-Maguire building built in 1891 at the southeast corner of First and Main streets. Moscow.
McConnell-Maguire went bankrupt during the depression of the 1890s. Building was then occupied by Motter, Wheeler and Company. Next by Williamson from 1911 through 1918 then vacant until 1928 when converted into Thatuna Apartments and Brown's Furniture.
Looking east at Second Street from Main Street in the early 1900's. Moscow.
Part of the Browne Block shows at the northeast corner of Second and Main streets. History of the building follows. [90-2-0054] Preserving Moscow's Past. The Latah County Abstract and Title Guarantee Company began business in 1888. It was part of the Browne Building erected during the 1880s. The company was established by I.C. Hattabaugh, Nez Perce County recorder, who held the office until Latah County was divided from Nez Perce in 1888. The Moscow National Bank occupied the front part of the building until it closed down in 1896. In 1890 Hattabaugh sold his interest in the company to a Mr. Veatch and a Mr. Woodworth, who in turn sold out to a Mr. S.R.H. McGowan in 1894. C.L. Thompson, who operated the Idaho Realty and Trust Company on the site of what is now the Nobby Inn, merged with Mr. Woodworth in 1911, and the company was renamed Latah County Trust Company. Thompson built the company vault, which is one of the largest private vaults in Idaho, according to his grandson, Tod Kiblen, who now runs the company. The vault houses every property transaction in Latah county and dates back to the government patents in the 1870s. The outside of the building is being restored by Hamilton Enterprises of Coeur d'Alene. The second story windows have been replaced, paint over the original bricks has been cleaned away and the mortar in between the bricks replaced. The pictures show the building as it appeared in 1896, and a recent photo of the fireplace, which is built of oak and has been carefully looked after and preserved. [source unknown]