click image for more info

Looking north at Main Street, 1912. Moscow.
1912
From Fifth Street. Preparing to do the first paving.

click image for more info

Looking north at the west side of Main Street, 1912. Moscow.
1912
From Fifth Street. Preparing to do first paving. J.N. Freidman (harness maker) in doorway shop.

click image for more info

First streets paved. Moscow.
1912
First streets paved. Moscow.

click image for more info

First streets paved. Moscow.
1912
[Photocopy of photo of map with first streets paved darkened?]

click image for more info

Looking north at Main Street. Moscow.
1911-02-01
From Fourth Street about 1910 or early 1911. The Motter-Wheeler sign shows on the McConnell Building at far right. Williamson's store occupied the building from 1911 to 1918.

click image for more info

Looking northwest across Main Street. Moscow.
1911-02-01
From Fourth Street at the Hotel Moscow and Roland Hodgin's drug store showing.

click image for more info

Gritman Memorial Hospital. Moscow.
1981-03-22
Looking east at [Gritman Memorial Hospital]. March 22, 1981.

click image for more info

Gritman Memorial Hospital. Moscow.
1981-03-22
Looking southeast at [Gritman Memorial Hospital]. March 22, 1981.

click image for more info

Gritman Memorial Hospital. Moscow.
1981-03-22
Looking north at [Gritman Memorial Hospital]. March 22, 1981.

click image for more info

Gritman Memorial Hospital. Moscow.
1981-03-22
Looking south at [Gritman Memorial Hospital]. March 22, 1981.

click image for more info

Gritman Memorial Hospital. Moscow.
1981-03-22
Looking west across Washington Street at the east side of the Gritman Memorial Hospital March 22, 1981. Pictures by Clifford M. Ott.

click image for more info

Doctor and Mrs. Gritman. Moscow.
1932
In front of Christmas the Gritman Hospital about 1932.

click image for more info

Doctor Gritman and his bird dog. [Moscow]
1925
[Gritman Memorial Hospital]. About the 1920s.

click image for more info

Doctor Gritman and a class of graduate nurses. Moscow
1925
At the Gritman Hospital. About the 1920s.

click image for more info

Gritman Memorial Hospital. Moscow.
1941
With the second wing built in 1941. Located at the southeast corner of Seventh and Main streets.

click image for more info

Gritman Memorial Hospital. Moscow.
1976
The Gritman Memorial Hospital's third wing was built in 1959 and 1960, and the fourth wing was built in 1974 and 1975. This wing shows with the white roof. The hospital now occupies the north half of the block on Main Street between Main and Washington streets south of Seventh Street. Looking northeast at Gritman Memorial Hospital, 1976 by Clifford M. Ott

click image for more info

Six horses pulling two wagon loads of grain north on Main Street between Eighth and Seventh streets. Moscow.
1899
1- Latah Hotel (room and board) 2- Bill Hoke, 3- Moscow Commission Company's wood and coal sheds.

click image for more info

Two wagon loads of grain being unloaded at Moscow Commission Company for processing into feed for livestock. Moscow.
1899
This building was located on the west side of Main Street between Eighth and Seventh streets north of the center of block. McCarty [Oscar McCarty] owner and manager.

click image for more info

Looking north at Main Street. Moscow.
1911-02-01
From south of Fourth Street before streets were paved in 1912. Copy from postcard.

click image for more info

Looking south at the west side of Main Street from Seventh Street in 1950. Moscow.
1950
Picture by the Idahonian in 1950.

click image for more info

W.A. Lauder cement block float July 4, 1910. Moscow.
1910-07-04
The concrete block plant was located at the southeast corner of Washington and Spotswood streets. Lauder standing at right in picture.

click image for more info

Looking northwest from the Latah County Grain Growers elevator. Moscow.
1950
The Union Pacific Railroad passenger depot in the foreground with the fairgrounds at the right across Sixth Street. Moscow Fire Department training tower at far edge of clearing. Student housing beyond. 1950.

click image for more info

Moscow's new Union Passenger depot built in 1936. Moscow.
1936
[Newspaper clipping?] At a cost of $40,000.00. Located south of Sixth Street between the Northern Pacific and Union Pacific railroads. The opening program was scheduled for January 7, 1937, when the structure will officially become part of the city's life. The building was razed in [1983].

click image for more info

Circus wagon. Moscow.
1918
Pulled by eight camels going south on Main Street at Eighth Street in 1918. Looking northeast at the corner of Eighth and Main streets.

click image for more info

Farmers Union Store and grain office. Moscow.
1910
At the southeast corner of Eighth and Main streets. C.H. Bratton in vest and bow tie, store manager; Mrs. George Sievers, bookkeeper; Clifford and Clement Sievers, twins and George Sievers general manager.

click image for more info

Looking east across Main Street from Eighth Street about 1913. Moscow.
1913
The Farmers Union store at right across Main Street and the Latah Hotel at left in picture.

click image for more info

Looking east across Main Street from Eighth Street. Moscow.
1975
The building at right was built about 1921 by the Farmers Union and used for their store and grain office until they sold. The building is now occupied by the Moscow Implement Company. Picture 1975 by Clifford M. Ott.

click image for more info

Moscow, Idaho, 1900 to 1975. [Photo of collage of Moscow street scenes]
1900 1912
Moscow, Idaho, 1900 to 1975. [Photo of collage of Moscow street scenes] MOSCOW, I DAHO . 1900-1975. #1-Looking north at Main Street from 8th Street. Building at left Star Hotel corner 7th & Main Street. Large building at right Gritman Hospital originally the McGreggor House (Hotel) built in 1892 at the S.E. corner of 7th & Main. Purchased by Dr. C. L. Gritman in 1897 and made into hospital. Picture taken July 4, 1900. #2-Looking at the N.E. corner of 8th & Main Street. Eight camels pulling circus wagon south on Main Street. Pioneer residence & barn on the corner. Picture taken in 1912. #3-Looking north from the top of elevator at the s .w. corner 8th & Main Street. 1-Latah Hotel 719 S . Main, Jake Hoke proprietor . 2-Hoke family residence . 3- Moscow Commission Co . 4-Star Hotel N.W. corner 7th & Main. 5-Nelson pioneer building N. W. corner 6th & Main . 6-Masonic Temple built in 1911 at 531 south Main . 7 - Potlatch Lumber Co. 120 W. 6th. 8-Washington Water Power Sub Station built in 1914 & razed in 1956 located east side of Jackson & south of 4th Street. 9-Stand Pipe (Water Tank.) 80 feet tall built in 1892 & razed about the 1930'.s, located center of block north of A Street between Jefferson & Adams at top of hill. 10-Irving School built in 1901 & razed in 1926 located at the s.w. corner of A & Adams. 11-Federal Building built in 1910 & 1911 at the N.E. corner of 3rd & Washington Street. 12- Butterfield Elder Implement Co . 520 S. Main . 13 - 0 . ~ . Bell Farm Implements pioneer building S. E. corner 6th & Main. 14-Carsow Grocery 616 S . Main. 15- J.J . Anthony Machine Shop at the N. E. corner 7th & Ma1n Street . 16-Gritman Hospital S. E. corner 7th & Main. Built in 1892 & razed in 1940. Picture by Hodgin's Drug Store Chas. Diamond photographer in the 1920's. #4-Look.J.ng north from the top of elevator at the s.w. corner 8th & Main Street. This picture shows new buildings built after picture #3. 1- Moscow Fire Dep t. built in 1927 at 603 S . Main . 2- Nelson building built in the 1920 ' s at the N.W. corner of 6th & Main Street. 3- Masonic Temple same as picture f/.3 . 4- New Russell School buil t 1926 S. W. corner A & Adams . 5- 0 . E. Bell concrete walls building built 1926 at S.E. corner 6th And Main Street. Picture by Hodgin ' s Drug Store Chas . Diamond ~photographer in the 1930 ' s. #5-Looking north from 8th Street. Latah Hotel left , Gritman Hospital white building at right . Picture by Hodgin ' s Drug Store Chas. Diamond photographer in the 1930 ' s . #6-Looking north from top of elevator at the S.W. corner of 8th & Main. Picture by Clifford M. Ott taken in 1975. ' ~7 -Looking north from top of elevator at the s.w. corner of 8th & Main . Picture by Clifford M. Ott taken in 1975. #8-Looking north at Main Street with 8th Street in foreground. Picture by Clifford M. Ott taken in 1975. Compare this picture taken from the same location 75 years after picture #1.

click image for more info

Looking north from the top of elevator at the southwest corner of Eighth and Main streets. Moscow.
1925
#3 1- Latah Hotel, 719 South Main Street, Jake Hoke, proprietor. 2- Hoke family residence. 3- Moscow Commission Company. 4- Star Hotel, northwest corner of Seventh and Main streets. 5- Nelson pioneer building, northwest corner of Sixth and Main streets. 6- Masonic Temple built in 1911 at 531 South Main Street. 7- Potlatch Lumber Company, 120 West Sixth Street. 8- Washington Water Power sub-station built in 1914 and razed in 1956 located east side of Jackson Street and south of Fourth Street. 9- Stand pipe (water tank) 80 feet tall built in 1892 and razed in the 1930s, located center of block north of A Street between Jefferson and Adams streets at top of hill. 10- Irving School built in 1901 and razed in 1926 located at the southwest corner of A and Adams streets. 11- Federal Building built in 1910 and 1911 at the northeast corner of Third and Washington streets. 12- Butterfield Elder Implement Company, 520 South Main Street. 13- O.E. Bell farm implements pioneer building, southeast corner of Sixth and Main streets. 14- Carssow grocery, 616 South Main Street. 15- J.J. Anthony machine shop at the northeast corner of Seventh and Main streets. Built in 1892 and razed in 1940. Picture by Hodgin's Drug Store, Charles Dimond photographer in the 1920s.

click image for more info

Looking north from the top of elevator at the southwest corner of Eighth and Main streets. Moscow.
1935
#4 This picture shows new buildings built after picture #3 [90-3-062c]. 1- Moscow Fire Department built in 1927 at 603 South Main Street. 2-Nelson building built in 1920s at the northwest corner of Sixth and Main streets. 3- Masonic Temple same as picture #3 [90-3-062c]. 4- New Russell School built 1926, southwest corner of A and Adams streets. 5- O.E. Bell, concrete walls build-in built 1926 at southeast corner of Sixth and Main streets. Picture by Hodgin's Drug Store, Charles Dimond photographer in the 1930s.

click image for more info

Looking north at Main Street from the railroad tracks after the street was paved in 1912. Moscow.
1912
Looking north at Main Street from the railroad tracks after the street was paved in 1912. Moscow.

click image for more info

Looking north at Main Street. Moscow.
1933
From Fifth Street at the big snow of 1933.

click image for more info

Looking north at Main Street from Eighth Street in 1892. Moscow.
1892
Large building at right the McGregor House later Gritman Hospital. Building at left was the Star Room and Board.

click image for more info

Looking N.W. at the Eagle Iron & Mfg Co. in 1892. Moscow.
1892
Located at the southwest corner of Eighth and Main streets.

click image for more info

Gritman [Memorial] Hospital at the southeast corner of Seventh and Main streets. Moscow.
1910
Copied from a postcard taken about 1910.

click image for more info

Looking southeast at the Idaho National Harvester Company machine shop and foundry. 810 South Main Street, Moscow, Idaho
1908
Located at 810 South Main Street. The I.N.H.C. [Idaho National Harvester Company] occupied this building 1907 through 1909, then the Rhodes Harvester from 1910 until 1915 when they moved to Colfax.

click image for more info

Looking north at Main Street from the railroad tracks in 1975. Moscow.
1975
See 1912 picture at left [90-3-063]. Picture by Clifford M. Ott

click image for more info

Looking north at Main Street from Eighth St. in 1975. Moscow.
1975
See 1892 picture at left from same location [90-3-065]. Picture by Clifford M. Ott

click image for more info

[Madison Lumber Company]. 824 South Main Street, Moscow, Idaho
1940
Located at 824 South Main Street. Was established in 1903 by Gunder P. Kjosness who came to Moscow with his wife and eight children from Madison, Wisconsin. The Madison Lumber and Mill Company is the oldest lumber company in the Inland Empire. It suffered two fires, one in 1934 and the other in 1968 when the above building burned to the ground [90-3-069]. It has been replaced by a new building at the same location and occupied by the Troy Lumber Company. 1976.

click image for more info

Standard Lumber Company's building. Moscow.

Located on the southwest corner of Seventh and Main streets. Building at left Moscow Commission Company, dealer in grain, feed and fuel.

click image for more info

Looking northwest from Lewis Street at the southwest corner of Eighth and Main streets. Moscow.
1980-07-31
Showing the elevator with steel bins added. Property now owned by the Latah County Grain Growers. Picture by Clifford M. Ott July 31, 1980.

click image for more info

Looking at the southwest corner of Eighth and Main streets in 1930 when property of Moscow Farmers Union. Moscow.
1930
Picture by Dimond of Hodgins Drug Store.

click image for more info

Looking northwest from Lewis Street at the southwest corner of Eighth and Main streets. Moscow.
1935
Showing the concrete elevator property of the Moscow Farmers Union with the Latah Hotel beyond and Madison Lumber and Mill Company sign at right. Picture by Dimond of Hodgins Drug in 1930.

click image for more info

Looking at the southwest corner of Eighth and Main streets, July 31, 1980. Moscow.
1980-07-31
Property now owned by the Latah County Grain Growers. Picture by Clifford M. Ott.

click image for more info

Looking north at Main Street from top of grain elevator at corner of Eighth and Main streets in 1975 by C.M. Ott. Moscow.
1975
Looking north at Main Street from top of grain elevator at corner of Eighth and Main streets in 1975 by C.M. Ott. Moscow.

click image for more info

Looking north at Main Street from top of grain elevator about 1924. Moscow.
1924
1- Moscow Commission Company (feed and fuel), 2- Star Hotel. 3- Butterfield & Elder (farm implements), 4- O.E. Bell (farm implements), Hodgins. 5- J.J. Anthony (machine shop), 6- Gritman Hospital.

click image for more info

Looking north at Main Street from Eighth Street, 1935-36. Moscow.
1935 1936
Picture taken by Charles Dimond of Hodgins.

click image for more info

Looking north at Main Street from Eighth Street in 1975 by C.M. Ott. Moscow.
1975
Looking north at Main Street from Eighth Street in 1975 by C.M. Ott. Moscow.

click image for more info

Northwest corner of Eighth and Main streets. Moscow.
1987-10-27
[Photograph taken] October 27, 1987.

click image for more info

West side of Main Street from Eighth Street.
1935-09-01
October 27, 1987 See picture #34 [90-3-034]