University of Idaho - Open Access Publishing Fund
The FY 2023 U of I – OAPF application for funding period #1 will open on Monday, August 1 at 9:00am. Applications are accepted on a first come, first served basis. Please contact Jylisa Doney, U of I - OAPF Fund Manager, with any questions.
The University of Idaho - Open Access Publishing Fund (OAPF) supports U of I authors in their efforts to publish in open access journals.
During FY 2023, the U of I Library, Office of the Provost, and Office of Research and Economic Development have partnered and allocated a combined total of $30,000 to pay or reimburse article processing charges (APCs) in eligible open access journals.
The total allocation will be split into two funding periods:
- Funding Period #1 = $15,000: Articles accepted for publication between July 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022
- Funding Period #2 = $15,000: Articles accepted for publication between January 1, 2023 and June 16, 2023
U of I affiliated authors may apply for funding multiple times until their author cap is met or funds are exhausted. Applications are accepted on a first come, first served basis during each funding period, until funds are exhausted or the end of the funding period.
History of the OAPF
As a land grant university, the University of Idaho seeks to “shape the future through innovative thinking” and “expand the institution’s intellectual and economic impact.”1
The U of I - OAPF supports this vision by making the innovative research conducted at U of I as widely accessible as possible.
Supporting open access models of publication demonstrates that U of I embraces equity of access, which is a catalyst for increased impact and visibility throughout the state, nation, and beyond.
Between FY 2019 and FY 2022, the U of I Library, Office of the Provost, Office of Research and Economic Development, and donors such as David and Julie Levine allocated a combined total of $145,000.00 to pay article processing charges (APCs) in eligible open access journals. During this period, the U of I - OAPF funded the publication of 103 open access journal articles written by a combined total of 176 U of I affiliated authors from six colleges; aproximately 31 departments, programs, and centers; Extension; the Idaho Geological Survey; and two institutes.
1. The Office of the Provost & Executive Vice President, “Strategic Plan and Process | 2016-2025,” University of Idaho, accessed April 27, 2018, http://www.uidaho.edu/provost/strategic-plan.
Open access and the U of I - OAPF support the University of Idaho’s Strategic Plan:
- Goal 1 – Innovate: Heighten the visibility of the University of Idaho’s research, innovation, scholarship, and creative works.
- Goal 2 – Engage: Reduce barriers related to accessing the University of Idaho’s research, innovation, scholarship, and creative works.