Manuscript Group 275
0.5 cubic feet
The records of the Sunshine Mining Company are part of the records of Day Mines, Inc., donated to the University of Idaho by Henry Day in 1984 and 1985. Initial processing of this manuscript group was done by Clay Williams in October 1988. Processing was completed by Michael Tarabulski in March 1992. Funds for processing were provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission, the U.S. Department of Education HEA Title II-C "Strengthening Research Library Resources" program, the Library Associates of the University of Idaho and other donors.
The Sunshine Mining Company was incorporated November 6, 1906, in Wallace, Idaho. The first Board of Directors included Daniel McGrath, Frederick C. Stodding, Emil Zeitfuchs, Columbus B. Ferguson, Henry McGuire, James Bailie, and David C. Smith. In September 1917 Eugene Day joined the board, and in 1918 the original officers resigned, to be replaced by Daniel McGrath as President, and H.J. Hull as secretary-treasurer. The board authorized the first of many assessment levies in August 1909.
Its property consisted of the Moonshine, Silver Seal, Lead Belt Lode, Sunshine, Guarantee Quartz Lode, and Venezuela Quartz Lode in the Beaver Mining District. It also operated the Sunshine Mill. In 1916 it purchased the Toughnut claim from Essex Lead and Silver Mining Company of Portland, and in 1918 purchased the seven adjacent claims known as the Dewey claims. The company was reorganized November 23, 1923 under a different Board of Directors which included D.C. Smith as president and H.J. Hull as the secretary-treasurer.
The property became inactive in the mid-1920s and in 1938 was leased to the Sierra Gaston Mining Company for a short time. Finally, in 1942, the property was sold to the Portland Mining Company.
The records of the Sunshine Mining Company span the years 1907 to 1943. Included are minutes of meetings, a stock ledger and stock journal, a financial ledger and a cashbook.
Since there are so few records of the Sunshine Mining company, they are not divided into series; the physical arrangement of the material, however, follows that of the larger record groups in the Day Mines collection.
The minute book contains, in addition to minutes of meetings of the directors and stockholders, the articles of incorporation, assessment notices and lists of stockholders. The other records relating to meetings include minutes of later meetings (1923-1942), notices of assessments, reports to stockholders, lists of stockholders, leases and other legal documents, and tax receipts.
Capital stock records consist of a stock ledger and a stock journal, while the financial records include a financial ledger and a cashbook.
Box Folder Description 1 1 Minute book, 1907-1923 2 Records relating to meetings, 1911-1943 3 Records relating to meetings, 1937-1942 4 Stock ledger, 1907-1916 5 Stock journal, 1913-1919 6 Financial ledger, 1907-1939 7 Cash book, 1916