Manuscript Group 276
0.5 cubic feet
The records of the Coeur d'Alene Mining Company are part of the records of Day Mines, Inc., donated to the University of Idaho by Henry Day in 1984 and 1985. Initial processing of this manuscript group was done by Judith Nielsen in January 1988. Processing was completed under the direction of Michael Tarabulski in March 1992. Funds for processing were provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission, the U.S. Department of Education HEA Title II-C "Strengthening Research Library Resources" program, the Library Associates of the University of Idaho and other donors.
The Coeur d'Alene Mining & Smelting Company was incorporated in the State of Idaho on July 18, 1904, with a capitalization of 1,000,000 shares at a par value of $1.00 a share. Stanley Fairweather was the president of the company until 1915 when he was succeeded by Dennis Goggin. In 1917 Alex D. Wallace became president and remained in that office until 1937.
The property of the company originally consisted of seven unpatented claims, about 140 acres, in the Placer Center District, 3.5 miles north of Wallace; three unpatented claims were acquired later. Development, financed by stock assessments, consisted of two tunnels, the upper one of 900 feet, and a lower one of 1400 feet, and a 100 foot shaft. The property became idle in 1935, and was absorbed by Dayrock Mining Company in 1937.
The records of the Coeur d'Alene Mining Company span the years 1904 to 1937. Included are minutes of meetings, a stock ledger and journal, and federal and state tax returns.
Related materials can be found in the records of the Dayrock Mining Company and the papers of Henry Day.
Removed from this collection were cancelled stock certificates.
Box Folder Description
1 1 Minutes, 1904-1937 2 Stock ledger, 1911-1937 3 Stock journal, 1911-1937 4 Federal and state tax returns, 1936-1937