X


Collections A-Z

logo
logo
The University of Idaho Library's

Campus

Photograph Collection

Documenting the history of the UI Campus

Art and Architecture South , 1904-

Architect:J.E. Tourtellotte (Boise)

Cost: $26,000

History: Built to replace its rickety wooden predecessor, what is now known as Art and Architecture South served as the gymnasium and armory for the UI campus until 1928. more ... After the Memorial Gymnasium was built in 1928, the Art and Architecture South building served as the Women's Gym until the early 1970's and the advent of Title IX. The building was then remolded to serve as studios and office space for College of Art and Architecture faculty and students. In 1983, the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Location: 46.726415, -117.01234 | Line Street, N.W. of Administration Building. 951 Campus Dr
Description: Granite foundation, red brick facing, basement and two floors, gable roof; 64' x 129'
Click here for more information
Click here for less information
Use History: Originally constructed as the university's second gymnasium and armory; became the Women's gym when Memorial Gym was completed in 1928. Remodeled for art and architecture studios and classrooms in 1976. Listed on National Register of Historic Places
Name History: Gymnasium, Women's Gymnasium, Art and Architecture South
Sources: UG 44, Morton, Petersen


Scroll down to browse the entire collection.

Click or hover on an image for additional information.