X


Collections A-Z

logo
logo
The University of Idaho Library's

Campus

Photograph Collection

Documenting the history of the UI Campus

Brink and Phinney Halls , 1936-

Architect:Whitehouse, Price (Spokane); Richardson, Hugh (Lewiston)

Cost: $388,130

Location: 46.728165, -117.012844 | Line Street and Idaho Avenue 801 & 701 S. Line St
Description: Brink: Reinforced concrete, red fireproof brick, trimmed with Boise Sandstone. Gable roof, composition shingles, five floors, front 178' long, wings 81' and 129' long respectively, each wing about 29' wide. Phinney: Four floors and basement, reinforced concrete and brick, gable roof, wood shingles, each wing about 98' x 30'
Click here for more information
Click here for less information
Additions: Elevator towers added to both in 1999
Use History: Brink: Originally a men's dorm housing 200. Currently houses placement center; math/statistics/English departments, miscellaneous faculty and grad offices. Phinney: Men's dormitory, later Sociology-Anthropology museum and department offices; misc. faculty offices
Name History: Willis Sweet Hall named after one of the UI's founders and member of the Board of Regents, 1889-1893; later called Faculty Office Complex East. Renamed Carol Ryrie Brink Hall in the early 1980s in honor of UI alumna and prominent author. Chrisman Hall, named after General Edward Chrisman. Later referred to as Faculty Office Complex West. Renamed Archie Phinney Hall in early 1980s
Date Notes: Brink 1936- ; Phinney 1938-
Cost Notes: $250,000 (Regents bonds); $138,130 (local bonds)
Sources: Cards, Morton, UG 12 (2325)


Scroll down to browse the entire collection.

Click or hover on an image for additional information.