Log into your Library Account (using your University of Idaho username and password) to:
- Renew materials, review your loans, and make Summit requests online
- Access library databases from anywhere in the world
- Use Interlibrary Loan and view your pending ILL requests
- Use "Request" link on physical items to set up "Curbside Pick Up". You'll receive an email when your item is ready, with a link to reserve a pick up time slot during open hours, Monday to Friday (contact email@example.com with questions!).
Offline, use your Vandal Card to check out and renew Books, DVDs, and other materials from the library
Library Account Policies
How do I get a library card?
Library Cards for Students, Faculty, and Staff
Your Idaho Vandal ID card can be used as your library card to check out materials as well as to access your interlibrary loan account and other online materials.
If you have a valid University of Idaho network username and password, you will also be able to access databases like JSTOR, Web of Science and Academic Search Premier from off campus by using your University of Idaho username and password.
Preferred Name: the Library circulation system used to check in and out materials can be updated to include a preferred name. Patrons interested in changing the name used on this system should inquire at the circulation desk or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note campus systems that use the U of I single sign-on system will still display the legally registered name for your account.
Guest Library Cards
Guest privileges are available to:
- Idaho residents with photo ID (residents under 18 years old must have parent or guardian willing to establish a parent/child account)
- WSU faculty, staff, and students with WSU ID
- Summit Library members, who may use their home library's card
Guests may borrow books, DVDs and other library materials. If you are not actively affiliated with the university, you will not have remote access to most electronic resources or to some library-specific services.
Generally, cardholders can borrow an unlimited number of items. Loan periods will vary depending on your status and the type of material being borrowed.
|LOAN PERIODS FOR BOOKS IN THE UI MAIN STACKS|
|Status||Loan Period||Renewals||Special Notes|
|Undergraduates; Guest Patrons||6 weeks||Yes||After a two-week loan period, all books can be recalled for use by others.|
|Faculty; Staff; Graduate Students||120 days||renewal upon request||Does not include Browsing books, A/V|
|LOAN PERIODS FOR OTHER MATERIALS IN THE UI MAIN STACKS|
|Type of Material||Loan Period||Renewals|
|Browsing Books||6 weeks||no renewals|
|Board Games||3 days||1 renewal|
|CDs/DVDs/LPs||2 weeks||no renewals|
|US Government Documents||6 weeks||no renewals|
|Magazines and Journals||library use only (1 day loan by special arrangement only)||no renewals|
|Microfilm/microfiche||library use only||no renewals|
|Newspapers||library use only||no renewals|
|Reference Books/Maps/Atlases||library use only||no renewals|
|LOAN PERIODS FOR SUMMIT MATERIALS (NOT AVAILABLE TO GUESTS)|
|Type of Material||Loan Period||Renewals|
|Summit Books||6 weeks||1 renewals|
|Summit DVDs/CDs||6 days||1 renewals|
|LOAN PERIODS FOR INTERLIBRARY LOAN MATERIALS (NOT AVAILABLE TO GUESTS)|
|Type of Material||Loan Period||Renewals||Special Notes|
|ILL Books||4 weeks on average (see note)||2 weeks on average (unless the lending library denies the renewal)||Due dates and renewals are set by the lending institution, so loan periods may vary.|
|ILL DVDs/CDs||2 weeks on average (see note)||2 weeks on average (unless the lending library denies the renewal)||Due dates and renewals are set by the lending institution, so loan periods may vary.|
|LOAN PERIODS FOR UI LIBRARY MULTIMEDIA (NOT AVAILABLE TO GUESTS)|
|Item||Loan Period||Fine Rate||Replacement Cost|
|Portable Green Screen||24 hours||$10/hour 1st 3 hours; $2/hour each additional hour||$110|
|Portable Light Kit||24 hours||$10/hour 1st 3 hours; $2/hour each additional hour||$140|
|Canon Vixia G20, circulating||24 hours||$10/hour 1st 3 hours; $2/hour each additional hour||$700|
|Canon Vixia G20, permanent hold||3 hours in-library||$10/hour 1st 3 hours; $2/hour each additional hour||$700|
|GoPro Hero||24 hours||$10/hour 1st 3 hours; $2/hour each additional hour||$300|
|Tripod||24 hours||Included in kit||$25|
|TASCAM Field Recorder||24 hours||$10/hour 1st 3 hours; $2/hour each additional hour||$100|
|External Hard Drive||24 hours||$10/hour 1st 3 hours; $2/hour each additional hour||$60|
|32 GB microSD Card||24 hours||Included in kit|
|SM57 Microphone||24 hours||$10/hour 1st 3 hours; $2/hour each additional hour||$100|
|Microphone stand||24 hours||Included in kit||$20|
|Miscellaneous accessories||24 hours||$10/hour 1st 3 hours; $2/hour each additional hour||Priced individually|
- Fines are $0.30 a day up to a maximum of $10.50 per book. Lost books have a charge of $70.00 for the book and a $20.00 processing fee. Fines for recalled books are $2.00 per day up to a maximum of $20.00.
- Fines for Reserve materials are $2 per hour or partial hour for overdue items, maximum $20, for paper reserve. There are no fines for electronic reserve materials.
Renewing Library Materials
Three options available for renewing (only graduate students, faculty, and staff can renew):
- Online at Your Library Account, where you can also see what items are checked out to you and when they are due
- By telephone at (208) 885-6559
- In person at the Circulation Desk (1st floor)